water the grass!
Not only do we live on a acre of land, but using water for that purpose would be very wasteful. It's just grass, I couldn't care less about it.
But, our grass isn't dead. If you basically leave it alone, the roots are stronger and they tend to support what is there. There are spots where we only have moss, and it looks pretty, we have a lot of shade in our property, and the moss grows there. My Man just mows it, with a ride on and a gas hand mower, but we aren't into preening and making a big deal out of grass. We have plenty of dandelions etc. We don't use any chemicals. Not only do I think they are very bad for the planet, the birds, the animals, and US, chemicals could easily get into our water table, as our water comes from a well in our yard! Talk about poisoning your own well.
In our neighborhood, the people who use chemicals on their lawns have the brown lawns when it gets dry, while those of us who leave it alone, and set the mower on medium high tend to at least have some grass alive.
There are people in our neighborhood who have ChemLawn and places like that come out and it puzzles me. I asked one guy once if he wasn't worried about what he was doing to his water supply with all that poison he was spraying on his lawn, and he said, "Well, we buy bottled water." UH, you bathe
and do your dishes in the water that is right under the lawn you are poisoning through. Aren't you? he said he wasn't a "tree hugging hippy" and walked away. I hope that his poison doesn't get into OUR well, but it probably has.