What is your religious/spiritual belief system?

Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Just wondering what religion/faith is the most common on here. Don't worry, your screen names won't show up with your answers.
Answers (private voting - your screen name will NOT appear in the results):
5  (14%)
15  (41%)
17  (46%)
Total votes: 37
Poll is open
Feb 20, 11:29 am
  • Get 3 amazing toys for $60 only
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 70% Clearance
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 50% Clearance
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 40% Clearance
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 25% Clearance
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
wrecklesswords wrecklesswords
I really don't know if a label is good for me. But my faith seems to reside mostly on the Pagan/Wiccan side. I do believe that all these other deities exist, but I don't necessarily subscribe to the core beliefs of them.

I kind of... pick and choose, I suppose.
Feb 20, 2:39 pm
edeneve edeneve
I'm spiritual. I'm also Christian, although, I follow no dogma. it's an interesting mix & experience.
Feb 20, 8:27 pm
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by wrecklesswords
I really don't know if a label is good for me. But my faith seems to reside mostly on the Pagan/Wiccan side. I do believe that all these other deities exist, but I don't necessarily subscribe to the core beliefs of them.

I kind of... ... More
Sounds cool.
Feb 20, 10:47 pm
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by edeneve
I'm spiritual. I'm also Christian, although, I follow no dogma. it's an interesting mix & experience.
It sounds like it would be interesting.
Feb 20, 10:47 pm
wrecklesswords wrecklesswords
Quote:
Originally posted by Lvstoplay
Sounds cool.
Maybe? I'm not even sure. I don't even fully subscribe to those either.

Or at least I'm not... consistent.
Feb 20, 11:55 pm
imperialyellowdragon imperialyellowdragon
Quote:
Originally posted by Lvstoplay
Just wondering what religion/faith is the most common on here. Don't worry, your screen names won't show up with your answers.
well its not islam. what a violent cult. islam should be outlawed.
  •   (2)
    I am personally offended by this
Feb 21, 12:25 am
Pete's Princess Pete's Princess
I am a Christian. I cannot tell you how upset some people who claim to be Christians make me. For those who just think of Christians as closed minded, judgmental, unloving individuals - please know that those are fake Christians. What the core beliefs are love, forgiveness, that everyone is a sinner, all sins are equal, if you believe your sins are forgiven. Even if you aren't a Christian you have probably heard "Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone." Apparently this was left out of those "thumpers" Bibles.
Feb 22, 10:38 pm
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by Lvstoplay
Just wondering what religion/faith is the most common on here. Don't worry, your screen names won't show up with your answers.
I was raised a Roman Catholic and attended parochial school from 1st through 8th grades. I hated every second of it. They were all the least Christian people I ever met, especially the nuns who were especially hateful! Let's just say any inclination I had towards religion was decimated and I am currently agnostic and have been since before I knew what the word meant. I respect the core beliefs of many religions, just not so much the religious organizations that have sprung up around them, for example the Catholic Church, or a more extreme example, the Taliban.
Feb 22, 11:21 pm
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by wrecklesswords
Maybe? I'm not even sure. I don't even fully subscribe to those either.

Or at least I'm not... consistent.
Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, as long as it works for you and doesn't harm anyone/anything else it's cool.
Feb 23, 2:11 am
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
I was raised a Roman Catholic and attended parochial school from 1st through 8th grades. I hated every second of it. They were all the least Christian people I ever met, especially the nuns who were especially hateful! Let's just say any ... More
I too was raised Christian and found that it wasn't for me. I found my beliefs more closely align to the Pagan/Wiccan belief system, and that it's open enough for me to be comfortable with it. Since switching religions I have learned a lot about myself and my beliefs, even though I live in a community where those beliefs are not openly supported.
Feb 23, 2:15 am
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by imperialyellowdragon
well its not islam. what a violent cult. islam should be outlawed.
Islam itself isn't a violent cult, but there are many that have formed in it's name. I think if we look hard enough we could find that most religions have groups of people who are not worthy of calling themselves a member of that faith. Think about all the so called "Holy Wars" or wars started in the name of a religions.
Feb 23, 2:21 am
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete's Princess
I am a Christian. I cannot tell you how upset some people who claim to be Christians make me. For those who just think of Christians as closed minded, judgmental, unloving individuals - please know that those are fake Christians. What the core ... More
No one said or implied that Christians are bad/evil/etc. Though I will freely admit that I do not agree with a large number of the Christian beliefs even though growing up I went to several Christian churches. The one I have the biggest issue with is "original sin". A baby cannot be a sinner; they do not know or understand the concept of sin, and they have done nothing wrong.
Feb 23, 2:26 am
kennycake kennycake
I am an atheist.
Feb 24, 10:17 pm
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by kennycake
I am an atheist.
Just wondering - were you raised atheist?
Feb 24, 10:56 pm
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by Lvstoplay
Just wondering what religion/faith is the most common on here. Don't worry, your screen names won't show up with your answers.
I appreciate all the responses I've gotten to this poll/post. I hope they keep coming.
Feb 24, 10:58 pm
Sir Sir
I am wondering why Wiccan/Pagan and Christian are the only two belief systems listed?

I am an atheist.
Mar 19, 8:12 pm
SaucyxGirl SaucyxGirl
Although I voted sometime ago, I have abstained from posting due to fear of causing controversy.

As a young teen I closely identified with LaVeyan Satanism. Over the years and due to events that I will not discuss here I have switched to a more theistic belief and practice system.

I have no issue with any religious belief or lack there of. I actually enjoy religious conversation with both believers and non believers. I try to be as open minded as possible when it comes to encountering belief systems that are different than my own deeply held ones. I never ridicule or think any less (or more for that matter)of others or their religious convictions(or lack there of).

One does not have to accept beliefs that are different than their own, but one can respect their choice of faith. Too often people jump to conclusions, judge or out right hate another because of religion. We allow ourselves to be offended or whip ourselves into a frenzy of fear because we either don't understand, or fear that our particular religion is being attacked. Rational thought leaves us as that fear breeds anger and hatred. And no other topic is as sensitive as religion.

Far too often I have heard from Christians that they are being persecuted and misunderstood. Yet they don't seem to see that the road of persecution is two-ways. I am sure many who are not Christian can identify with what I am saying. Have you ever had a person physically get in your face and tell you that your beliefs are wrong? Have you ever been physically assaulted because of your beliefs? Have you ever been refused service, asked to leave a public place, or treated rudely because of your religion? Have you ever had to tuck a symbol of your faith inside your shirt because school officials/ a boss etc stated that it offended the class/co-workers to see it? Have you ever had a person rip said necklace off your neck(or any other symbol of religion for that matter) while screaming at you? Have you ever had a person try to force their religious belief upon you against your will examples being: Trying to get you to pray with them, force you to church service, harass you with religious literature, spread rumors that could have real consequences for you life or family?

Persecution exists on many levels. I hear too often that we need to a be a more Christian Nation, that laws should be passed in regards to religion. I would greatly fear a country that passes laws that favors one religion over another for fear of persecution coming from the legal system. When religion and politics co-mingle closely people have had their freedom and even their lives taken. Laws based upon basic morality and up holding human rights are fine but not ones that legislate a particular religion over another are bad.

Like I said it is about respect. Respect each other and our differences. I think the world would be a better place if we could just all do that.
Mar 20, 10:57 am
PadoruLover PadoruLover
I am Roman Catholic
Mar 20, 6:51 pm
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by SaucyxGirl
Although I voted sometime ago, I have abstained from posting due to fear of causing controversy.

As a young teen I closely identified with LaVeyan Satanism. Over the years and due to events that I will not discuss here I have switched to a ... More
Well said, SaucyxGirl! And one of the great things about USA is that we were founded on the separation of church and state and for the very reasons you mention. Our founding fathers were well aware that many people fled to this land to avoid religious persecution and their desire to live according to their own faith.

Personally, I am leery of people who feel their actions are sanctioned by their religion and therefore feel God is on their side, despite whatever heinous agenda they have planned. Someone who fears no repercussions and is positive they are mandated by their God to do whatever they want is a scary person indeed!
Mar 20, 8:22 pm
SaucyxGirl SaucyxGirl
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
Well said, SaucyxGirl! And one of the great things about USA is that we were founded on the separation of church and state and for the very reasons you mention. Our founding fathers were well aware that many people fled to this land to avoid ... More
Exactly.

I also am leery that use religion to justify their actions. Far to easy for a person to make the leap from religious fanatic to extremist. It also angers me because a lot of the time they have taken passages from their religious texts and completely perverted it from its original meaning or just flat out ignore the ones that command them to not judge, love all and seek peace.

Another thing that gets me is the not wanting to be exposed to ideas that are different. Is a persons faith that fragile that coming into contact with something that counters it going to cause that faith to be shattered? I think not. I belief that frame of mind is more rooted in a mindset that says "My beliefs are right. And therefore everyone has to believe what I believe. And anything contrary to my beliefs should be banned."

Different religions can easy co-exist in peace. The key is respect. Respect that which is different than you.
Mar 21, 1:18 pm
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by SaucyxGirl
Exactly.

I also am leery that use religion to justify their actions. Far to easy for a person to make the leap from religious fanatic to extremist. It also angers me because a lot of the time they have taken passages from their religious ... More
Once again, we are on the same page!
Mar 21, 2:16 pm
Eliza Eliza
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
I was raised a Roman Catholic and attended parochial school from 1st through 8th grades. I hated every second of it. They were all the least Christian people I ever met, especially the nuns who were especially hateful! Let's just say any ... More
For a second as I was reading your post I thought I had responded to this thread already and had forgotten about it. I had pretty much the same experience.
Mar 23, 1:49 pm
edeneve edeneve
Quote:
Originally posted by Lvstoplay
No one said or implied that Christians are bad/evil/etc. Though I will freely admit that I do not agree with a large number of the Christian beliefs even though growing up I went to several Christian churches. The one I have the biggest issue with ... More
not sure what you're referring to here. the original sin has nothing to do w/ a baby.
Mar 24, 1:51 pm
edeneve edeneve
I just want to say that this is a good discussion where there's been no disrespect or bashing. religion is one of the 'hot' topics of conversation & I'm glad to see everyone's comments have retained a good measure of decorum.
Mar 24, 1:58 pm
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by Eliza
For a second as I was reading your post I thought I had responded to this thread already and had forgotten about it. I had pretty much the same experience.
@ Eliza: WOW! That's amazing that you actually thought you had written it! Unfortunately, I have met more than a few people with similar stories and I have to wonder how many people would still be affiliated with their religion (especially Catholicism) if they didn't have such bad early experiences. How sad to be driven away by the actions of those supposed to be the ambassadors of that faith. Of course I refer specifically to my experience, but I know it's not exclusive to Catholics, though I only hear those horror stories of mean parochial school from Catholics, hmmm...

@ Edeneve: Re: Original Sin. At least for Catholics (and likely more Christian religions), Original Sin does have to do with babies. The belief is that the O.S. stained humanity and that taint is passed down to all humans. "a consequence of this first sin, the hereditary stain with which we are born on account of our origin or descent from Adam." You can read more here. I agree with Lvstoplay, it is something I have always rejected and it sounded ridiculous to me.

And I, too, am really happy to see such a non-confrontational approach to this topic by everyone!
Mar 24, 8:41 pm
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir
I am wondering why Wiccan/Pagan and Christian are the only two belief systems listed?

I am an atheist.
Hmm...that's a good question. I should've listed more, but I'm not honestly sure why I didn't.
Apr 4, 12:54 pm
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by SaucyxGirl
Although I voted sometime ago, I have abstained from posting due to fear of causing controversy.

As a young teen I closely identified with LaVeyan Satanism. Over the years and due to events that I will not discuss here I have switched to a ... More
Yes I've hidden my pentagram from the sight of others many times for fear of the response I'd get. I live in a predominately closed minded, Christian community. It's very common where I live to see any belief that is not Christian put down, and there are members in my family even who try to push their Christian beliefs on me.
Apr 4, 1:00 pm
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
Well said, SaucyxGirl! And one of the great things about USA is that we were founded on the separation of church and state and for the very reasons you mention. Our founding fathers were well aware that many people fled to this land to avoid ... More
In my experience, most groups who do something and claim they did it "because my God told me to do it" are cult oriented. If we all claimed our religion was the only one that was valid our lives and history would be much bloodier than they already are.
Apr 4, 1:04 pm
Lvstoplay Lvstoplay
Quote:
Originally posted by SaucyxGirl
Exactly.

I also am leery that use religion to justify their actions. Far to easy for a person to make the leap from religious fanatic to extremist. It also angers me because a lot of the time they have taken passages from their religious ... More
If only everyone felt that respect were important regardless of rather their beliefs match the other persons beliefs or not, our world would be a much better place.
Apr 4, 1:07 pm
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 56
Unique posters: 18