Yo, Editors!

Ms. N Ms. N
I understand how tempting it may be to grab the most recent reviews from the Task Market (particularly the 400 point ones), but please try to remember to edit in a "first come, first served" fashion as much as possible. The goal is for editors to have a contributor's review published within a week or two. If editors only choose the most recently published reviews, under the current circumstances, the earlier reviews are not going to be published on time. Please try to limit yourself to no more than one of the current day's reviews, and choose your other two from the earliest day possible. Thank you!

Current number of reviews waiting to be published
(as of 7:54 A.M. Eastern Time):
June 7th - 13
June 8th - 37
June 9th - 40
June 10th - 35
June 11th - 17
June 12th - 24
June 13th - 28
June 14th - 28
June 15th - 21
June 16th - 6
06/16/2013
  • Buy 1 Toy Get 1 FREE
  • Better Price Sale - Save 70%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Zombirella Zombirella
Oh wow, that' is crazy seeing the numbers laid out like that! I wish we could do more than three.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombirella
Oh wow, that' is crazy seeing the numbers laid out like that! I wish we could do more than three.
Well, to me, it is less overwhelming to look at it day-by-day, rather than the 200+ total. If we can get through the reviews for the 7th and 8th today, then put a big dent in the 9th and 10th tomorrow, I think we will be in much better shape! That will have us finished with the Review Amnesty Week submissions.

I wish we could too...I have had several people talk to me about being okay with editing some without getting points for them, just to knock more out, but it sounds like that is too complicated for the programmers to set up for such a short amount of time.

We will get there though.
06/16/2013
PropertyOfPotter PropertyOfPotter
On the first day I tried to see if I could grab a 4th to edit even without the points, but noticed that it wasn't possible at all.

I've been editing the older ones, and have been a little frustrated that it seems like many others aren't. This is my first time editing, but I would think you'd work your way from oldest to most recent, not the other way around. Hopefully others will see this post and will do the same.
06/16/2013
melissa1973 melissa1973
Quote:
Originally posted by PropertyOfPotter
On the first day I tried to see if I could grab a 4th to edit even without the points, but noticed that it wasn't possible at all.

I've been editing the older ones, and have been a little frustrated that it seems like many others ... More
I would definitely grab the oldest first, regardless of the points they ALL need to be reviewed, checked for plagiarism and if none are found send it out. However I'm not a reviewer this rotation. Sorry I can't help with them.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by PropertyOfPotter
On the first day I tried to see if I could grab a 4th to edit even without the points, but noticed that it wasn't possible at all.

I've been editing the older ones, and have been a little frustrated that it seems like many others ... More
Yeah, I think that the Task Market is the only place on Eden that you are actually stopped from continuing an action after you have earned all your points for the day. You are not stopped from rating and commenting on reviews, or adding items to your wish list, or posting in the forums, etc. But editing reviews, something that is for the benefit of the company, you have to stop at three. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but what can you do?

*fingers crossed*
06/16/2013
PropertyOfPotter PropertyOfPotter
Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. N
Yeah, I think that the Task Market is the only place on Eden that you are actually stopped from continuing an action after you have earned all your points for the day. You are not stopped from rating and commenting on reviews, or adding items to ... More
I was genuinely surprised when I couldn't grab a 4th review, but oh well. I'm just glad I'm able to help with some at the moment. I'm working my way from oldest to most recent, so there's at least a few of us.
06/16/2013
SMichelle SMichelle
Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. N
Yeah, I think that the Task Market is the only place on Eden that you are actually stopped from continuing an action after you have earned all your points for the day. You are not stopped from rating and commenting on reviews, or adding items to ... More
On one hand, though, I can kind of understand why there's a limit.

I mean -- yes, the task market has a lot of reviews now, so it seems like everyone would still get to edit their fair share of reviews, even if editors were allowed to do more than 3 a day. But, from my past experiences of being an editor, the task market is not always quite this full. In a case where things are back to normal and all caught up, I think that taking away the limit may result in people not getting a chance to edit their fair share each day.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by SMichelle
On one hand, though, I can kind of understand why there's a limit.

I mean -- yes, the task market has a lot of reviews now, so it seems like everyone would still get to edit their fair share of reviews, even if editors were allowed to do ... More
Sure, sure. You would hope that common sense and courtesy towards others would come into play during review droughts (like the two days between the announcement of Review Amnesty Week and the actual beginning of it - it was slim pickings!), and that people would do their three for points, then quit, as long as someone else was around to continue the process. Of course, that might not be the case in reality...

I will say though, since the points value has risen to 1000 per review, the number coming through the TM each day has increased dramatically from where it was a year ago, or even three months ago.
06/16/2013
SMichelle SMichelle
Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. N
Sure, sure. You would hope that common sense and courtesy towards others would come into play during review droughts (like the two days between the announcement of Review Amnesty Week and the actual beginning of it - it was slim pickings!), and that ... More
I can just imagine people sitting there, editing each review that they see, even they've surpassed their 3 for points. Hopefully this wouldn't be the case, but...

I think that I'd be okay with raising the number of reviews each person could do if there were still limits of some sort in place. For instance, maybe someone could do 3 reviews for points a day, and then be allowed to do maybe 3 more without points. Something like that... Raising the limit, but still keeping it so that a single person cannot sit there editing every single review that comes in.

I do think that, in order to get out of this backlog, the limit is going to need to be raised slightly. New editors have been brought in, but we seem to be still as backed up as we were a few days ago. I don't see this improving too much, especially as people are submitting more reviews now that the they're worth 1000.
06/16/2013
PassionCpl PassionCpl
The thing that would stop all of that is awarding the same points for all edited reviews. Reviewers get the same 1000 no matter which format they use, and I've seen reviews written in the Standard template that were longer & more detailed (and often better) than some in the Extended one.

Considering we can only edit 3 reviews per day and that some are longer and require more work than others, I can't see why they're not all a standard 400 points.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by SMichelle
I can just imagine people sitting there, editing each review that they see, even they've surpassed their 3 for points. Hopefully this wouldn't be the case, but...

I think that I'd be okay with raising the number of reviews each ... More
*lol* You are probably right about that!

I will tell you a secret (not really)...I have been counting since more editors were added...the total number of people (not including mentors) who have edited reviews since Friday...is 20. That is fewer than the number of people who were supposed to be editing in the first place. Now, it is the weekend, so maybe that accounts for some of it, but I will say that all of the ones who were already editors (and have been editing this weekend) are the exact same ones who filled out my editing poll a couple of weeks ago. To me, that says that the eight of us are most likely the ones who have been doing the editing since the rotation began in April. I am very hesitant to suggest that we just add more editors though, as we do want to maintain standards, if possible. It would be nice if we could raise the number each person could do though.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by PassionCpl
The thing that would stop all of that is awarding the same points for all edited reviews. Reviewers get the same 1000 no matter which format they use, and I've seen reviews written in the Standard template that were longer & more detailed ... More
You are absolutely right about that! I was thinking the same thing last night, and considering what would be a "fair" amount of points to earn, if they were both to be the same. I think splitting the difference - 325 points per review edited - would be fair. It is an odd amount though, and there are many more standard reviews published than extended ones (at least, among beginning reviewers). So perhaps 300 points would be a better compromise.

Though, you are also correct about the fact that some people put a lot more work into a standard review than some do for an extended review, so I could see getting 350-400 points for all of them.
06/16/2013
charmedtomeetyou charmedtomeetyou
Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. N
*lol* You are probably right about that!

I will tell you a secret (not really)...I have been counting since more editors were added...the total number of people (not including mentors) who have edited reviews since Friday...is 20. That is ... More
I'm still around but the last two days have been crazy. I have been fairly actively editing since the rotation began though.

Honestly, I was hoping to understand the deal with the added editors a little better....as it seems a bit odd to me to just add people who wish to volunteer if they don't have to go through the same evaluation process (or have been turned down in the past).
06/16/2013
Pete's Princess Pete's Princess
Perhaps a few of the old reviewers could be brought back for a week or two to get caught up. It would seem easier to add a few more reviewers than to change the programming. I do not know who is in charge of adding reviewers but perhaps one of you could forward that suggestion to them.
06/16/2013
PassionCpl PassionCpl
Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. N
You are absolutely right about that! I was thinking the same thing last night, and considering what would be a "fair" amount of points to earn, if they were both to be the same. I think splitting the difference - 325 points per review ... More
I thought about splitting the difference too. The reason I went for the higher figure is purely because I've realised since becoming an editor how much work it can be. And even though there are some great reviews being written, I can't help but feel that many are just being churned out for the 1000 points. So 400 points is still less than half of the amount that reviewers are getting, despite us often doing a lot of work on their behalf.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by charmedtomeetyou
I'm still around but the last two days have been crazy. I have been fairly actively editing since the rotation began though.

Honestly, I was hoping to understand the deal with the added editors a little better....as it seems a bit odd to ... More
I can't really speak for Stormy, but I will add my thoughts on the matter. The editing program had been Sammi's baby for as long as I have been an active member here. Originally, one just applied once they reached a certain level, and editors were chosen from those who applied. That didn't always turn out so well, as some people just wanted to be editor for the points, and they really didn't have the needed skills. It's not their fault for not having the skills - not everyone is an expert grammarian - but they should have known their own weaknesses and not applied in the first place.

Now, to combat this problem, last year Sammi created the proofreading test - basically, it was a review riddled with common errors that one sees in the reviews that come through the Task Market. The test was to correct the errors and return it to Sammi. Those who caught the most errors were the ones chosen to be editors. (Only one person has ever found them all...but we won't name names ).

All of that is to say this - Sammi is gone, as are the rest of the administrative staff. EVERYTHING is falling to Stormy now. The situation in the TM at the moment is unprecedented (there have been more than 100 reviews at a time before, but over 250 is new). The extra help was needed immediately, and Stormy did not have time to send the tests (if she even has access to Sammi's test), wait for the test to be returned, and score them. She had to make a command decision on her own, and I think she did a pretty good job with her choices, overall.

Perhaps some may see it as not being totally fair for people to be added without taking the test, or who have been denied before, but sometimes in life, situations come up that must be taken care of quickly, and fairness doesn't always enter into the equation.

To quote The Princess Bride, "Who ever said life is fair? Where is that written? Life isn't always fair."
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete's Princess
Perhaps a few of the old reviewers could be brought back for a week or two to get caught up. It would seem easier to add a few more reviewers than to change the programming. I do not know who is in charge of adding reviewers but perhaps one of you ... More
I sent a PM to Stormy about that before she added more editors a few days ago. I believe that is the best thing to do, if more editors are to be added, as those who have been on rotation before are more familiar with the program and its quirks. I don't know if Stormy will want to add more now or not, but she did say it is definitely easier to do that than to get the programmers involved.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by PassionCpl
I thought about splitting the difference too. The reason I went for the higher figure is purely because I've realised since becoming an editor how much work it can be. And even though there are some great reviews being written, I can't help ... More
If a review seems to be way too much work to edit, I wouldn't even bother. Mark it as not being publishable, and send it on to Stormy. I have seen reviews where the entire thing was written in caps lock - all 600+ words of it. Others have been completely unintelligible. Some have grammar and spelling errors in every single sentence. Now, it can be sent back to the reviewer for revision, but you have seen how often that is actually done. Personally, I don't see these as a person making a real effort, and I don't believe their reviews deserve to be published at all. Send those on.

I would be perfectly fine with getting 250 points per review edited, or 400 points per review edited, or anywhere in between...or more! If you think about it, editors were getting from five to eight times as much to edit a review as people were for writing them before the increase for reviews went into effect. Now, we are getting from 1/4 to 2/5 of what it is worth to write a review. I don't think it would be out of line to say editors deserve a raise. I don't expect there to be one, but it certainly wouldn't be out of line. I remember JR saying that he used to spend 10 hours a day editing reviews before the editing program came into effect. It does save the company money.
06/16/2013
PassionCpl PassionCpl
I try to balance new reviews with the backlog. I don't manage to each time, but it sometimes feels as though I'm the only one doing that.

I think if other editors are being added to help with the backlog, then they shouldn't be taking the new reviews - whether it's courtesy or not, because they've been brought in because of that backlog. If I weren't already editing, I'd love the extra 750 points a day as well as being able to help out.

The problem is that that Princess Bride line (one of my all-time favourite films) can also be quoted by those who just don't want to do the older 250 point reviews and see this as a 'cash cow' rather than wanting to edit.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by PassionCpl
I try to balance new reviews with the backlog. I don't manage to each time, but it sometimes feels as though I'm the only one doing that.

I think if other editors are being added to help with the backlog, then they shouldn't be ... More
I am afraid you are right on that score. I do hope that there will be a test in place by the end of this rotation for the next batch of editors. Then, even if they are only in it for the points, at least we will know they have the skills needed for the job.

* Again, I am not saying anything against any of the new editors who have been added. I know at least one who could have been editing her first day here. I know - I have edited some of her early reviews - very few changes were needed.
06/16/2013
PropertyOfPotter PropertyOfPotter
As far as the testing goes, there could have been lots of others that did well with the test, but only a certain amount were allowed to edit. I know that there are a lot of us that aren't 'perfect' as far as editing goes, but I've been editing my student's reviews and my own for months now. I have applied to be an editor a few times now and I was denied each time. Not everyone gets accepted, even if they do a good job with it. Many were added recently to help catch up on all the older reviews. I offered to help, not because I wanted a ton of extra points, but because I knew I was capable of doing it. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and overall, I think the new set of people that were brought on are doing a pretty good job.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by PropertyOfPotter
As far as the testing goes, there could have been lots of others that did well with the test, but only a certain amount were allowed to edit. I know that there are a lot of us that aren't 'perfect' as far as editing goes, but I've ... More
Yes, I agree. The people who have started over the weekend have been doing very well. I have no problems at all with their selection

I don't know what cut off point Sammi used to decide. I do know that she picked fewer editors on the current rotation (21) than she has in past rotations (over 30). I can't say why that is. Perhaps it was due to the number of reviews that were coming in to be edited. If it was fewer than 40 per day (and I guarantee that it was), there is not normally a need for 30+ reviewers. During special events where double points are awarded for reviews, there's a need.
06/16/2013
SMichelle SMichelle
Quote:
Originally posted by charmedtomeetyou
I'm still around but the last two days have been crazy. I have been fairly actively editing since the rotation began though.

Honestly, I was hoping to understand the deal with the added editors a little better....as it seems a bit odd to ... More
I was one of the added editors this time. I e-mailed Stormy and volunteered, as I had experience with editing before. I woke up the next day to say that I had been added. I figured the reason I was added without having to complete the test review that I did the first time was because I've been a review editor twice before, and am a current SexIs editor. It seems that everyone that volunteered was added, though.
06/16/2013
SMichelle SMichelle
Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. N
Yes, I agree. The people who have started over the weekend have been doing very well. I have no problems at all with their selection

I don't know what cut off point Sammi used to decide. I do know that she picked fewer editors on the ... More
Now, however, the motivation to write reviews has been increased significantly, and I don't see people slowing down with their reviews anytime soon. $10.00 is a lot, after all! I mean... even I feel more inclined to write reviews, whereas before I would put them off for a while.
06/16/2013
SMichelle SMichelle
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete's Princess
Perhaps a few of the old reviewers could be brought back for a week or two to get caught up. It would seem easier to add a few more reviewers than to change the programming. I do not know who is in charge of adding reviewers but perhaps one of you ... More
The thing is, new editors were only just added to this rotation. In fact, I think that everyone who had volunteered to help out has been added. So, they're already trying that.

People are just writing more reviews than they used to, due to the significant increase in motivation (points). The backlog is going to continue until the number of reviews coming in changes.

How many reviews do we have in the task market right now, out of curiosity? Has anyone counted?
06/16/2013
Zombirella Zombirella
Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. N
I can't really speak for Stormy, but I will add my thoughts on the matter. The editing program had been Sammi's baby for as long as I have been an active member here. Originally, one just applied once they reached a certain level, and ... More
Just because some people didn't get picked for the round of editors doesn't mean they didn't pass the test....MANY of us didn't get chosen and we are not illiterate. There were only a certain number picked.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by SMichelle
The thing is, new editors were only just added to this rotation. In fact, I think that everyone who had volunteered to help out has been added. So, they're already trying that.

People are just writing more reviews than they used to, due to ... More
It's still around 240, but that is including a few that have been tagged as non-publishable.
06/16/2013
Zombirella Zombirella
Quote:
Originally posted by PropertyOfPotter
On the first day I tried to see if I could grab a 4th to edit even without the points, but noticed that it wasn't possible at all.

I've been editing the older ones, and have been a little frustrated that it seems like many others ... More
It's tempting to wait around for a $4 review, but I have been taking the older ones. I think for now that should be the rule.
06/16/2013
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombirella
Just because some people didn't get picked for the round of editors doesn't mean they didn't pass the test....MANY of us didn't get chosen and we are not illiterate. There were only a certain number picked.
I did say that above.
06/16/2013
Total posts: 74
Unique posters: 16