Good examples of a well written descriptive review

Brian Brian
So I'm doing my first descriptive review and was wondering if someone could provide some examples of ones they find especially good so I can base my formatting off of them. Thanks.
08/10/2010
  • Add More Pleasure to Your Collection! Buy 1 Vibe, Get 1 FREE
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 70%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Kynky Kytty Kynky Kytty
Well the first one that came to mind was probably the descriptive review of the Ina by Victoria. It should give you a pretty good idea.
08/10/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Just try to focus on the toy - it's appearance, functions, etc - and not on how you felt about it.

Stick to the facts and you'll be fine.
08/10/2010
ScottA ScottA
You want to ask yourself "what would someone interested in this toy want to know about it?" Put most of the personal stuff in the personal and experience section and you'll be fine.
08/10/2010
MuffysPinguLove MuffysPinguLove
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
So I'm doing my first descriptive review and was wondering if someone could provide some examples of ones they find especially good so I can base my formatting off of them. Thanks.
Don't worry, they get easier as you do them
08/10/2010
Heartthrob Heartthrob
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
So I'm doing my first descriptive review and was wondering if someone could provide some examples of ones they find especially good so I can base my formatting off of them. Thanks.
I agree with Carrie Ann. The only difference in the DR review is that you're not talking about how the product worked for you. You're talking about what the product is. This takes away the personal aspect of the review and gives the customer an idea of what the product is and how it is supposed to work on a generic level.
08/10/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Quote:
Originally posted by Heartthrob
I agree with Carrie Ann. The only difference in the DR review is that you're not talking about how the product worked for you. You're talking about what the product is. This takes away the personal aspect of the review and gives the customer ... More
You said it way better than I did!
08/10/2010
Brian Brian
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
Just try to focus on the toy - it's appearance, functions, etc - and not on how you felt about it.

Stick to the facts and you'll be fine.
You can still put your experience with the toy in the experience section right or should I just leave it out if its bad (not that I'm expecting it to be)?
08/10/2010
Kynky Kytty Kynky Kytty
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
You can still put your experience with the toy in the experience section right or should I just leave it out if its bad (not that I'm expecting it to be)?
Yup, it goes in the experience section, even if it did not work for you. In that case, try to explain why, and if possible, make a suggestion for whom it may work better. For instance, if it's too big for you, recommend it to size queens.
08/10/2010
Brian Brian
Quote:
Originally posted by Kynky Kytty
Yup, it goes in the experience section, even if it did not work for you. In that case, try to explain why, and if possible, make a suggestion for whom it may work better. For instance, if it's too big for you, recommend it to size queens.
Gotcha so it almost sounds like it might be better for me to write the other sections mostly before I use it and then make my comments about it's use in the experience section? Sound right?
08/11/2010
Rayne Millaray Rayne Millaray
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Gotcha so it almost sounds like it might be better for me to write the other sections mostly before I use it and then make my comments about it's use in the experience section? Sound right?
I do that sometimes. Or sometimes, I start at the end and work my way forward. Whatever excites me most is usually what I write about first. But I'm a weirdo. So you should totally not listen to me.
08/11/2010
Kayla Kayla
I'm totally biased, but I did get a lot of great comments on my recent descriptive review: link Descriptive reviews really do take longer than my normal reviews because I try to put a lot, lot of effort into them.
08/11/2010
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Gotcha so it almost sounds like it might be better for me to write the other sections mostly before I use it and then make my comments about it's use in the experience section? Sound right?
I would not write about a toy before using it, because I'd have to guess about a lot of the details.

What I try to do is use it and then think about who it would work for (and who it wouldn't work for), and use that to guide me. Instead of focusing on what *I* like about a toy, and what *I* would change, I make my statements more general. "Sensitive users may not enjoy this toy's texture" -- this can be said whether I like the texture or not.

I try to point out what features of the toy would make it desirable or undesirable to certain users in the main part of the review, and then in the personal comments / experience section I'll say whether I personally enjoyed it.
08/11/2010
~LaUr3n~ ~LaUr3n~
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
So I'm doing my first descriptive review and was wondering if someone could provide some examples of ones they find especially good so I can base my formatting off of them. Thanks.
I've done a few. My first wasn't the greatest, but I really feel the rest have been great. Want links to those?
08/11/2010
Brian Brian
Quote:
Originally posted by ~LaUr3n~
I've done a few. My first wasn't the greatest, but I really feel the rest have been great. Want links to those?
You can send them or if you're too busy I can look on your profile. I may look at your first one too to see how you changed your style on it.
08/12/2010
Badass Badass
Thanks for starting this Brian, it's years later and I found what I was looking for. Woop!
I'm doing my first DR review now and didn't really know where to go with it..
05/20/2012
Total posts: 16
Unique posters: 11