I believe that marriage is wonderful. However, to make it last you need to consider yourself a team:
* Both should put the other person ahead of yourself. Think what is best for us as a couple instead of just what is best for me.
* Don't think of leaving whenever things get tough, because they will. If you think of marriage as temporary it will be.
* Love and respect each other even when you don't agree.
* Don't make personal attacks, discuss the issue and the underlying fear/concern.
* Never talk negatively about your spouse to others or insult them in public even if it is a joke. Don't participate in the bash the husband/wife sessions with friends or co-workers. Have you ever seen a successful team cut each other down in public?
* Never get/let family members be involved in your affairs. If you take your complaints to your family, they will want to protect you and their advice will be bias. They will hold a grudge against your partner long after you have forgiven and moved on.
We are taught to look out for number one. That does not work in a marriage. If you want to do that, save a lot of time and money - stay single.