Will virgin coconut oil cause problems? does it breakdown toys?

  • Get a Free Rabbit Vibe with Orders $59+

Will virgin coconut oil cause problems? does it breakdown toys?

LovesToPlay LovesToPlay
im wanting to start using coconut oil to see if it helps with yeast infections and generally bc im scared of all the chemicals in water based lubes!!
Answers (public voting - your screen name will appear in the results):
cause yestinfections
megan1987 , Ghost , Ciao. , CadmiumKitty
4
silicon toys
any kind of toy ( please name the type it will break down below)
other..
Gunsmoke , Alan & Michele , MissCandyland , Ciao. , MamaDivine , potstickers , jmex83 , LavenderSkies , Gimme More , Vegan Silk
10
Total votes: 14 (13 voters)
Poll is closed
03/08/2012
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
unfulfilled unfulfilled
I don't know about coconut oil with yeast infections, BUT I know a few things about yeast infections and natural remedies because I worked in the alternative medicine industry for 5 years, but had to quit after I had my second kiddo.

Anyway, pee before and after sexual intercourse.

vaginal Yeast infections are a disbalance to the vaginal flora (good bacteria) in the vagina. It is wise to take acidophilus pills and eat PLAIN yogurt because that will help regulate the balance of flora in the vagina again.

SUGAR feeds yeast so please stay away from sodas and sweet foods.

As far as lubricants, find one that does not contain glycerine. There are all-natural lubricants out there that don't have any glycerine in it.

If you have a partner and you keep getting yeast infections, your partner needs to be treated to because you two are passing the infection back and forth.

I hope that helps.
03/08/2012
Positwist Positwist
Oils can break down latex, so you won't want to use oils if you're using latex condoms (or toys).

For a good glycerin-free lube, check out Sliquid Organics Gel. I'm extremely sensitive and I can get yeast infections at the drop of a hat, but this stuff doesn't cause me any problems. It contains cellulose, which is long chains of glucose, but our bodies can't break down cellulose, so it won't cause the problems sugars cause.
03/08/2012
Gunsmoke Gunsmoke
We don't use coconut oil - but we use a an oil-based product called Yes. It is a combination of Shea & Cocoa butters combined with almond oil and some other natural ingredients. We have had no issues using it on any material - including all varieties of silicone like; O2, Vixskin, std Tantus formulations and silicone covered toys like Mona, Mimi & Form 2.

Good luck!
03/08/2012
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
We've used coconut oil on and off for MANY years now and it never caused any problems.

Not all water based lubes are bad though. You might want to look into Sliquid Sea-- it's not full of all the scary chemicals but it works well for most things. Blossom Organics is another good one that actually has ingredients that are beneficial to a woman's body in it.
03/08/2012
LovesToPlay LovesToPlay
Quote:
Originally posted by unfulfilled
I don't know about coconut oil with yeast infections, BUT I know a few things about yeast infections and natural remedies because I worked in the alternative medicine industry for 5 years, but had to quit after I had my second kiddo. ...
thank you for the helpful tips!! i always pee before and after so thats already taken care of. What if i hate yogurt? Is there another option?
i do not drink anything but water now for 5 months i have not had caffeine or carbonated drinks only water! I own ones that are glycerine free but im still getting them?
03/08/2012
LovesToPlay LovesToPlay
Quote:
Originally posted by Positwist
Oils can break down latex, so you won't want to use oils if you're using latex condoms (or toys).

For a good glycerin-free lube, check out Sliquid Organics Gel. I'm extremely sensitive and I can get yeast infections at the drop of ...
sorry thats just to funny!! after we had our daughter i had him get fixed i was not about to go thru that again heck no!!! so no condoms to worry about here!! thanks for the reply i have glycerine free lubes but i continue to have aggravation then a full blown yeast infection!! ugh the worst crap ever!!
03/08/2012
LovesToPlay LovesToPlay
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunsmoke
We don't use coconut oil - but we use a an oil-based product called Yes. It is a combination of Shea & Cocoa butters combined with almond oil and some other natural ingredients. We have had no issues using it on any material - including all ...
thanks! im going to look this one up for sure! do yall use it for massages too!!
03/08/2012
LovesToPlay LovesToPlay
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan & Michele
We've used coconut oil on and off for MANY years now and it never caused any problems.

Not all water based lubes are bad though. You might want to look into Sliquid Sea-- it's not full of all the scary chemicals but it works well for ...
its so funny that you said something on this poll bc i had someone tell me to come talk to you about this and i was like idk them people!! but im glad you put your input out there for me!! do you use the coconut with toys?
if you have a preferred name brand i would also like that plz? why on and off?
03/08/2012
MissCandyland MissCandyland
Yikes...I have no clue.
03/09/2012
LovesToPlay LovesToPlay
Quote:
Originally posted by MissCandyland
Yikes...I have no clue.
then i can thank you for at least voting haha!! Its so controversial i have read that its a wonderful product to use to prevent yeast infections then some people say not to Yikes is so correct on this one!!
03/09/2012
Gunsmoke Gunsmoke
Quote:
Originally posted by LovesToPlay
thanks! im going to look this one up for sure! do yall use it for massages too!!
No - actually it's a little expensive for that - but it does leave your skin feeling marvelous - so if you can afford it - spread it everywhere!
03/09/2012
wildorchid wildorchid
If you are constantly getting them, then chances are, they have never really gone away at all and you need antibiotics, especially if you are drinking all of that water and peeing...appropriately I just suffered a 4 month long UTI, I feel your pain. If possible, see your doctor and get some antibiotics, hypoallergenic lube like the ones suggested and you may want to look into acidophilus pills. If you can't have dairy though, make sure you find the dairy free versions. There are only a couple brands available. And if you keep getting them, your partner should probably be checked out too.

I also use a vaginal wash for external areas that restores the natural PH. I would seriously consult a doctor though. I am uber paranoid now. These are all things my doctor suggested, but they may not be the right recommendations for you, hence the doctor!

Good luck seriously!
03/09/2012
Positwist Positwist
Quote:
Originally posted by LovesToPlay
sorry thats just to funny!! after we had our daughter i had him get fixed i was not about to go thru that again heck no!!! so no condoms to worry about here!! thanks for the reply i have glycerine free lubes but i continue to have aggravation then a ...
Yikes! I'll second WildOrchid. If you're getting infections frequently, you might have one big persistent infection. Your husband might have it, too, so you two could be passing it back and forth.

Do you get the infections even when you don't use lube or toys? If yes, antibiotics may be in order. Don't be afraid to tell your doctor about your lube troubles; they'll have suggestions for you.

If you're only getting infections when you use lube... Maybe oil really is the answer?
03/09/2012
LovesToPlay LovesToPlay
Quote:
Originally posted by wildorchid
If you are constantly getting them, then chances are, they have never really gone away at all and you need antibiotics, especially if you are drinking all of that water and peeing...appropriately I just suffered a 4 month long UTI, I feel your ...
i also used a wash that helps with the natural ph level but just started it summers eve... of course when i said something to my husband about him having one he went all defensive and was like i dont have any problems! ugh men aggrivate me!! the coconut is a freaking no way!!!! he hated the smell of it and it just didnt stay long enough for us!! i dont know if dairy gives me any problems or not i just dont like yogurt. i wish i could go to the dr but we dont have any insurance and dont have the money for it!
03/11/2012
LovesToPlay LovesToPlay
Quote:
Originally posted by Positwist
Yikes! I'll second WildOrchid. If you're getting infections frequently, you might have one big persistent infection. Your husband might have it, too, so you two could be passing it back and forth.

Do you get the infections even when ...
OIL IS NOT OUR ANSWER!!! that stuff was not for us sexually! i loved it for massages but didnt stay long enough for sex! the husband thinks its not him!! typical man right?
03/11/2012
Ciao. Ciao.
Oil shouldn't break down any of the typical toy materials but it should be noted that some oils can break down the latex in condoms, if that's a concern for you. Not sure about other infection issues from using oils, which your body has a harder time breaking down.
03/11/2012
charletnarouh charletnarouh
Quote:
Originally posted by LovesToPlay
OIL IS NOT OUR ANSWER!!! that stuff was not for us sexually! i loved it for massages but didnt stay long enough for sex! the husband thinks its not him!! typical man right?
You need to get to a doctor!! When I don't have insurance I use a women's clinic. Most cities have them. They are usually very affordable or can make payment arrangements with you. If your infection isn't clearing up or keeps coming back it might be resistant to the over the counter products and/or may be bacterial as well as fungal. I had a yeast infection turn into bacterial vaginosis because the bacterial balance and everything was all thrown off. And your husband needs to get checked too. If it makes him feel better, tell him he probably contracted it from you. It's likely a dormant infection on his part that he just keeps giving back to you. If he cares about your health, he will get checked. If I had this problem and a partner who wouldn't get checked, I'd refuse them sex until they got themselves to the doctor. I second YES lube. I love the water based. The oil has a weird consistency. Feels great in use and lasts a while and won't be rinsed away in water but just a little odd. I like it, but I like the water based better. I can't tell the difference between my own fluids and the water based YES and it has no smell or taste which is awesome. As Gunsmoke mentions, it leaves your skin feeling great and can also help rebalance your PH. Sliquid organics are also great products. Be cautious of their hybrid lubes though as they do have silicone so don't mix with silicone toys.

I'd recommend calling off ALL sex and toy use until both of you are checked for an infection by a clinic or doctor and treated if necessary. Then boil and/or bleach all your toys and throw away any that can't be sanitized. (Sad I know, but they might reinfect you). Then stick with a chemical free, paraben free, glycerin free lube like Sliquid or YES. And steer well clear of any non-sanitizeable, non-body-safe toys since some people develop infections from them as well, plus they can carry and transmit things. If you don't like yogurt you can get some probiotics as a preventative measure. There are even some on the market that are specifically for vaginal health. AZO makes a product called AZO Yeast that is a pill you can take to help clear up an infection or take every day to help prevent yeast infections. Before you do any more self-treatment, though, get yourself to a clinic and insist on your husband getting checked too. Infections that aren't cleared up can cause more serious problems in the long run!
03/11/2012
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
Quote:
Originally posted by LovesToPlay
its so funny that you said something on this poll bc i had someone tell me to come talk to you about this and i was like idk them people!! but im glad you put your input out there for me!! do you use the coconut with toys?
if you have a preferred ...
Yeah we're kind of known as the crazy peeps who use...OMG... Oil for sex!! . Coconut oil was suggested to us by a doctor ages ago, and it's been good to us.

Yes we've used it on toys, and the only ones we've had any issues with were a few of the gooey TPR/TPE types... it makes some them more gooey, and they stay oily after cleaning. NOT all TPR/TPE, but some.

Currently we've got a jar of Jungle brand organic on hand and it's good, but we have tried others that were fine too. The main thing is to make sure you're getting an all natural organic *cold pressed* oil, which you may have to go to a health food store to find. But stay away from the "organic" brand called Spectrum-- it's frickin' disgusting.

I said "on and off" because we don't always use a lube. And when we do, we aren't always in a situation where we want to use oils (like in the car seats), and we don't find coconut oil to be thick enough for anal play either.

If you're getting a lot of yeast infections, go get tested to be sure it's really yeast and not BV. In spite of what the 'Net says are "common" symptoms, the two can appear almost identical in some women. BV is much more common than yeast though, and it requires antibiotics to clear it up. On the other hand, if it is truly yeast, stay away from antibiotics at all costs. Yeast can be killed by the right balance of good bacteria in the body-- the same good bacteria that antibiotics tend to kill off, which lets the yeast flourish. There is a product called Ultimate Flora Vaginal Support that does wonders, along with avoiding things like sugar and rinsing the vulva with *very* diluted apple cider vinegar a couple of times a day. A systemic detox wouldn't hurt either if your case is severe. I'm not a doctor, but... been there, done that, and it worked.
03/13/2012
MamaDivine MamaDivine
Quote:
Originally posted by LovesToPlay
im wanting to start using coconut oil to see if it helps with yeast infections and generally bc im scared of all the chemicals in water based lubes!!
No clue honestly. Good question tho
03/18/2012
LovesToPlay LovesToPlay
Quote:
Originally posted by MamaDivine
No clue honestly. Good question tho
It did not work out for us. Hubs hated the smell of it while i for one loved it! It felt dry though wasn't a nice slick feeling, you know? But since i have started using summers eve feminine wash i don't get yeast infections anymore!!
03/20/2012
jmex83 jmex83
Quote:
Originally posted by LovesToPlay
im wanting to start using coconut oil to see if it helps with yeast infections and generally bc im scared of all the chemicals in water based lubes!!
not sure?
03/30/2012
LavenderSkies LavenderSkies
Quote:
Originally posted by unfulfilled
I don't know about coconut oil with yeast infections, BUT I know a few things about yeast infections and natural remedies because I worked in the alternative medicine industry for 5 years, but had to quit after I had my second kiddo. ...
Thanks for sharing
04/06/2012
CadmiumKitty CadmiumKitty
I've used it before, its pretty decent
04/26/2012
Vegan Silk Vegan Silk
oil based lube breaks down some things but not others. just read the material safety page.

sliquid brand has worked great for me if you need one that is water based
05/18/2012
Total posts: 25
Unique posters: 14