Originally posted by
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones and found a pill (Yasmin) that works for me right off the bat. No crazy mood swings, no weight gain, lighter periods, the only downside is the $50 per month cost. In 2007 I switched to a cheaper brand and found
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones and found a pill (Yasmin) that works for me right off the bat. No crazy mood swings, no weight gain, lighter periods, the only downside is the $50 per month cost. In 2007 I switched to a cheaper brand and found myself on the verge of suicide within a week and got an emergency switch back to the Yasmin.
I will never use the Nuvaring because a dear friend of mine was on it for 3 or 4 months and developed a life-threatening blood clot in her leg. It took her almost a year to fully recover and scared me away from Nuvaring for good.
My b/f and I always use condoms as well, our little rule is that he has to wear a rubber until I get to wear the big, white, poofy dress!
I'm actually pretty pleased with Loestrin 24 Fe so far. The downsides have been:
- first week (AKA first period) was absolute HELL and lasted for about 8 days,
- decrease in sex drive (although considering how horny I was before, that might be a plus), and
- barely covered by insurance and there's no generic, so I pay $70 for 3 packs.
Other than that, however:
- my second period on it only lasted for about 3 days and
- it was very light after the first day,
- only the first day of my period makes my dysmenorrhea act up,
- the placebo pills have iron in them (so they taste funny, but they're good for me), and
- I still use condoms, of course, but this pill seems very effective.
My breasts went up a band size and a cup size (I went from a 30A to a 32B), but I don't seem to be experiencing any of the other side effects, like skin issues, spotting, weight gain, dryness, etcetera. Like I said, the lack of sex drive is technically a con, but I had a super-high sex drive before and now it's just kind of "regular," so I don't fuss over it too much. I hope they make a generic form of it soon!
IMO, the trick with BC pills is to take them at the same time every day. I've set my phone to go off every day when it's time to take my pills, and I have two girlfriends who take their BC at the same time, so it's nigh on impossible for me to forget. I only "missed" my time once in this first month, and then I was only off my half an hour. But I know other people, like my sister, who didn't take their BC as regularly, often missing their "target time" by hours and skipping days relatively often, and they seemed to have more side effects.
And, of course, some pills are just shit. =P