Ever treated your pet for eating toxic plants?

Ever treated your pet for eating toxic plants?

Bignuf Bignuf
One of our Rottweilers ate (chewed up, really. Didn't swallow much), a Poinsettia we were given for Christmas. The plant has been sitting here for weeks and no one bugged it, but all of a sudden, one of the girls decided it would be fun to rip up.

We didn't even know which dog it was till she started with horrible diarrhea this evening. A $200 emergency vet visit, and now having her on some Pepto Bismol pills, till she goes to see the regular vet in a few hours...and she still is "pooping" outside every five minutes. (Thankfully no other symptoms we can see).

Anyone else dealt with this in a pet? What happened, and how was it treated?
12/29/2012
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Buy 3 Items for $20
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Kissy Kissy
Poor thing! Not any plants. My dogs have been stung by animals, scorpion and bees!
12/29/2012
Rossie Rossie
I've googled about the subject, and learned that poinsettia only has a low level of toxicity, and there's no antidote for poinsettia poisoning. Hope your girl's done pooping out all the toxins and is recovering by now. My dog only likes to munch on grass when he has a upset stomach, he's not interested in any other plants.
12/29/2012
Rod Ronald Rod Ronald
Luckly we have never had this problem. Fingers crossed we never do.
12/30/2012
spineyogurt spineyogurt
No
12/30/2012
Bleu Bleu
No. My cat ate out of the trash once and ended up throwing up blood for a while but guess what? He hasn't done it since.
12/30/2012
Total posts: 6
Unique posters: 6