Menstruation and Food Consumption

Menstruation and Food Consumption

Ansley Ansley
Am I the only one that starts to eat house and home a couple of days right before I start my period? I feel like I just can't get enough carbs or protein and I have no shame about it. I just snarfed an entire box of Cheerios between Thursday and today--- by myself!! What about you? Do your eating habits change right before or during your period?
08/09/2011
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Save 70%. Limited Quantity
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • Save 50% on Selected Items
  • Spoil Him! Luxury Gift Set for Men For $60
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
P'Gell P'Gell
I crave protein and sugar.

I can't eat chocolate during my period (but I crave it,) or I'll get a raging migraine. We always get steaks for dinner at least once during my period, as I feel so much better after the shot of protein and iron it provides.
08/09/2011
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
I crave protein and sugar.

I can't eat chocolate during my period (but I crave it,) or I'll get a raging migraine. We always get steaks for dinner at least once during my period, as I feel so much better after the shot of protein and ...
Mmmmmmm steak! I don't crave chocolate. Ever. It's so weird.
08/09/2011
GravyCakes GravyCakes
i crave certain things. but i eat everything in sight on a regular basis, lol.
08/09/2011
brittany8612 brittany8612
i eat alot of crackers and chocolate lol
08/10/2011
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
I crave protein and sugar.

I can't eat chocolate during my period (but I crave it,) or I'll get a raging migraine. We always get steaks for dinner at least once during my period, as I feel so much better after the shot of protein and ...
I crave sugar also. I don't normally eat much ice cream, but I'll be munching on ice cream bars during my period. TCM practitioners forbid women to eat icy cold stuff and chocolate before and during their periods, it's suppose to make it worse, which I found to be true. My period is a lot heavier, lasts longer, and I get more cramps.
08/10/2011
CSEA CSEA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
Am I the only one that starts to eat house and home a couple of days right before I start my period? I feel like I just can't get enough carbs or protein and I have no shame about it. I just snarfed an entire box of Cheerios between Thursday and ...
ohh yes! I craveeeee Yellow Gatorade! And eat more. I crave Dulce de Leche icecream too!!

Those are the most common cravings that I will have.
08/10/2011
CSEA CSEA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossie
I crave sugar also. I don't normally eat much ice cream, but I'll be munching on ice cream bars during my period. TCM practitioners forbid women to eat icy cold stuff and chocolate before and during their periods, it's suppose to make ...
what are TCM practitioners if I may ask?
08/10/2011
M121212 M121212
I find iron's important, for blood loss reasons

You know what's wild is that chocolate is high in iron. Doesn't that just makes sense? lol
08/10/2011
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by CSEA
what are TCM practitioners if I may ask?
It's Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners.
08/10/2011
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by M121212
I find iron's important, for blood loss reasons

You know what's wild is that chocolate is high in iron. Doesn't that just makes sense? lol
If you're wondering why chocolate has bad effects on periods, you can read this link.
08/10/2011
indiglo indiglo
I start eating constantly too. I mostly crave sugary stuff before and during my period.
08/10/2011
Dawn (Lilac Distraction) Dawn (Lilac Distraction)
Oh my! That's when I get insane cravings. I also crave milk really bad about a week before my period. I don't normally drink it during my non PMS times. I'm a spicy-salty kind of girl when it comes to cravings. I want buffalo sauce, olives, anything with peppers. Oh, and General Tso's chicken!

I may crave chocolate or peanut butter as sweet things.

But I'd rather have a bag of salt and vinegar chips.


Ahhh! Thanks for making me have PMS cravings again. It's about that time, anyway.
08/10/2011
alliegator alliegator
Ditto on the steak. Red meat tastes really good when I'm menstruating. I usually crave salt and fatty foods. All the stuff that's really bad for me.
08/11/2011
CSEA CSEA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
Am I the only one that starts to eat house and home a couple of days right before I start my period? I feel like I just can't get enough carbs or protein and I have no shame about it. I just snarfed an entire box of Cheerios between Thursday and ...
GIRLS! Check out this wonderful article provided by Women's Health Magazine. It explains why we want to eat carbs and what types of foods are best for us during these times and why

Link : link

link
08/15/2011
Ansley Ansley
Thank you, kindly!
08/15/2011
Ms. Spice Ms. Spice
i just lose my appetite completely. it's a struggle to make me eat a whole meal :/
08/16/2011
Dawn (Lilac Distraction) Dawn (Lilac Distraction)
Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Spice
i just lose my appetite completely. it's a struggle to make me eat a whole meal :/
As soon as I start bleeding, I'm the same way.
08/16/2011
Yaoi Pervette (deleted) Yaoi Pervette (deleted)
I used to not be able to eat when my period started. I would have such bad cramps that I would be sick to my stomach. Now that I don't have that issue, I find that I crave more comfort foods.
08/16/2011
catgirl9 catgirl9
A few days before my period I crave sweets and fatty stuff, sometimes carbs too, but not every time. My total food consumption does increase though. Sometimes I swear I could just eat all day and still be hungry!
08/16/2011
ToyGurl ToyGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
Am I the only one that starts to eat house and home a couple of days right before I start my period? I feel like I just can't get enough carbs or protein and I have no shame about it. I just snarfed an entire box of Cheerios between Thursday and ...
Funny thing. I just called my OBGYN about this today! I'm just turning 22 and my body is changing all of the sudden and I've been really worried. I gained some weight in the process of my engagement and wedding and I think that affected it all but the eating is very prominent right around the beginning of my period.

When i'm not on my period I seem to weight about 3 lbs MORE and I am never really too hungry to be honest. At least not hungry outside of regular meals (B,L,D). But about 2-3 days before my period I go on binges. This is very new and it's only been going on for 3 months. My hubby noticed before me and he thought I was pregnant or something.

This last week was the worst. I ate an entire package of gourmet truffles which was a wedding gift, so it was a big box. I estimate about 30 truffles. I ate 4 cinnamon rolls, half a large link of sausage and a head of cabbage one night. Random ass shit! Even a can of beets last month!

So I thought I was prego, called my OBGYN and he just said "Wait at least two days. Your period is coming, I'll bet my money on it."

Sure enough, I started today. Apparently we still go through changes as we get older... lol
08/16/2011
Yaoi Pervette (deleted) Yaoi Pervette (deleted)
I thought I would share the oddest period food craving story I'd ever heard. When I was in high school, the school cafeteria would serve this really gross-looking taco meat. Sometimes, the school would even recycle leftover taco meat and use it as meat sauce on spaghetti. I was working on a project with some classmates over lunch. One of the girls was eating that awful taco meat. She noticed that I was cringing at the sight of the meat, and she told me the strangest thing. She said normally she won't eat the taco meat, because she thinks its sort of gross, but she still gets a craving for it whenever she gets her period! Needless to say, I was floored.
08/18/2011
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyGurl
Funny thing. I just called my OBGYN about this today! I'm just turning 22 and my body is changing all of the sudden and I've been really worried. I gained some weight in the process of my engagement and wedding and I think that affected it ...
Oh, absolutely. The theory is that every seven years your body goes through changes. I turned 28 and I gained a cup size in my chest. I was like WOAH! where did those come from? It was a delight for me, because until then I was a small B-cup and it was annoying to find nice shirts that fit well. My sister even noticed it and was pretty amazed by it. And now that I've hit 30, I sweat a little more often than I used to and it doesn't take nearly as much activity to get it going.
08/18/2011
ToyGurl ToyGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
Oh, absolutely. The theory is that every seven years your body goes through changes. I turned 28 and I gained a cup size in my chest. I was like WOAH! where did those come from? It was a delight for me, because until then I was a small B-cup and it ...
Wow that's crazy! Maybe I'll have some luck! I have c's but they are small and I hate it. Seems like my entire famiy has either large C's or D-DD's. I had no idea that we change so much, though. You think I would be aware of this, working at planned parenthood for 3 years!
08/18/2011
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyGurl
Wow that's crazy! Maybe I'll have some luck! I have c's but they are small and I hate it. Seems like my entire famiy has either large C's or D-DD's. I had no idea that we change so much, though. You think I would be aware of this, ...
There are so many things they forget to tell you. I guess doctors and profressionals feel that it's common sense or something---which is ridiculous. I was curious about it and asked my doctor and he was all like "duh, sweetie your body is going to change until you're finished with menopause". Then he smirked, patted me on my knee and told me to get dressed. (He has an amazing bed-side manner and I wouldn't see another doctor if they paid me.)
08/18/2011
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by Yaoi Pervette (deleted)
I thought I would share the oddest period food craving story I'd ever heard. When I was in high school, the school cafeteria would serve this really gross-looking taco meat. Sometimes, the school would even recycle leftover taco meat and use it ...
Actually craving meat and fat are very common before and during menstruation. Not wanting to offend any vegetarians (as I used to be one, and one of my children is) red meat does provide a concentrated shot of protein and iron that no food can match in the same amount of food. IMO, the concentration of iron, B vitamins, and protein all in one 3 or 4 oz serving of food provides something I could never match when I wasn't eating meat.

Meat is protein and iron dense and some of us really need that. I was a veg until I was pregnant with my first baby. I was feeling SO sick and got cravings for red meat (which before then, I found disgusting) I ate some, and my pregnancy nausea disappeared and a few years later (after the baby was born and I started having periods again, a few months before she was weaned) I found that the meat really helped my migraines that attack me during menstruation.

In fact, I've been fighting a migraine for the last 4 days, I'm having my period, and I haven't had any concentrated red meat in over a week. I think the Man needs to bring home a steak for dinner!
08/18/2011
Yaoi Pervette (deleted) Yaoi Pervette (deleted)
I love meat anyway, so getting protein and iron from it is a non-issue for me. However, I really question just how much meat was in this taco meat that the school was serving! Seriously nasty stuff, and I cannot imagine anyone getting a craving for it.

I get migraines as well, and I do find a protein-rich meal helps me recover as long as I am not too nauseous to eat. I can get them anytime, but I do experience an uptick in migraines when I get my period. Fortunately, I only get four periods a year on my oral contraceptives.
08/18/2011
Jenyana Jenyana
Quote:
Originally posted by CSEA
ohh yes! I craveeeee Yellow Gatorade! And eat more. I crave Dulce de Leche icecream too!!

Those are the most common cravings that I will have.
Can you get Dulce de Leche ice cream in Florida? I thought it was nigh impossible to get outside Argentina... O_O
09/04/2011
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by Jenyana
Can you get Dulce de Leche ice cream in Florida? I thought it was nigh impossible to get outside Argentina... O_O
It was introduced to the U.S. about a year ago, maybe a couple years back at most. They also brought Magnum bars to the states.
09/04/2011
Jenyana Jenyana
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
It was introduced to the U.S. about a year ago, maybe a couple years back at most. They also brought Magnum bars to the states.
Awesome! Dulce de Leche is the undisputed #1 favourite ice cream flavour here in Argentina; I often wondered why, if people liked it so much, it wasn't available in other countries.

On the topic of cravings, I don't really find myself craving certain types of food before my period... or if I have, I didn't notice anything different from usual. I'll have to pay more attention in the future.
09/04/2011
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 31
Unique posters: 15