Sugar Gliders

Sugar Gliders

Ash1141 Ash1141
Anyone have a sugar glider as a pet? My daughter wants one really bad but I don't know much about them. Also, as far as I know, they are illegal to own in PA.
10/04/2011
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • Spoil Him! Luxury Gift Set for Men For $60
  • The Complete Lovers Kit! Expert Couples Gift Set For $60
  • Backdoor Ecstasy! Opulent Anal Gift Set For $60
  • Lover's Touch! Deluxe Massage Gift Set For $60
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by Ash1141
Anyone have a sugar glider as a pet? My daughter wants one really bad but I don't know much about them. Also, as far as I know, they are illegal to own in PA.
I don't at the moment but I used to have 2, and my friend who gave them to me raised and bred them. She had many. Is there anything specific you want to know? Or just any and everything? They do make good pets but I suppose it would depend on how old your daughter is, as to whether or not she should have a small pet. They are quite small, and fragile. They also require a lot of care as far as feedings and making sure they have water, and they need a great deal of attention!
10/04/2011
Airen Wolf Airen Wolf
Quote:
Originally posted by Peggi
I don't at the moment but I used to have 2, and my friend who gave them to me raised and bred them. She had many. Is there anything specific you want to know? Or just any and everything? They do make good pets but I suppose it would depend on ...
They won't thrive without LOTS of attention and can be tricky to feed. Very high maintenance pet...also lots of vets in the States don't have a lot of training in caring for these little guys, something to be aware of and seek out!
10/04/2011
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by Airen Wolf
They won't thrive without LOTS of attention and can be tricky to feed. Very high maintenance pet...also lots of vets in the States don't have a lot of training in caring for these little guys, something to be aware of and seek out!
Agreed. I had to give one of mine away, back to my friend who gave them to me, because I was in school and didn't have the time to care for them, and the other got too cold

As for care, luckily there are some good vets in Maryland who know a lot about them, so if someone in PA needs a good vet at least there are some here but it could be several hours drive, I'm not sure about vets in PA since you're not supposed to own them there.
10/04/2011
Nora Nora
Would you really want to teach your child that it's okay to keep something in your home that is illegal to have? I can't see that as working out well for anyone...

As for the care and maintenance issues, I have no idea. I had gerbils and rats growing up, rats (the fancy kind sold in pet stores) make awesome pets! They're a social animal though, so they also require lots of attention or a playmate (make sure you get both of the same sex...they breed otherwise and can cause issues young kids shouldn't see...), preferably both.

Any parent considering a pet for a young child (really anyone under 15 or so) needs to remember that they, as the parent, are ultimately responsible for keeping the pet alive, happy, and healthy...choose wisely!
10/04/2011
wrecklesswords wrecklesswords
Quote:
Originally posted by Ash1141
Anyone have a sugar glider as a pet? My daughter wants one really bad but I don't know much about them. Also, as far as I know, they are illegal to own in PA.
Why are they illegal to own in PA?

I've always wanted one, but my parents never let me get one because they can be very tricky to raise. My cousin Sara had one for a while, but her son ended up being allergic to him so she had to find a new home for the little guy.

Guinea pigs are fun! Don't buy from a pet store though... like ever...always look for rescue groups to give homes to those who were abandoned or given up.
10/04/2011
Jobthingy Jobthingy
I know a girl that has, and breeds them up here. I am pretty sure they are illegal here also. I have no clue about them other than they are a lot of work.
10/04/2011
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by wrecklesswords
Why are they illegal to own in PA?

I've always wanted one, but my parents never let me get one because they can be very tricky to raise. My cousin Sara had one for a while, but her son ended up being allergic to him so she had to find a ...
They're illegal in a lot of states because they are actually wild animals, not meant to be pets (although they do make great ones!) Also they aren't native to the United States at all, so I think that makes the laws a little more strict than with some other animals.
10/04/2011
wrecklesswords wrecklesswords
Quote:
Originally posted by Peggi
They're illegal in a lot of states because they are actually wild animals, not meant to be pets (although they do make great ones!) Also they aren't native to the United States at all, so I think that makes the laws a little more strict than ...
I did not know that! I just always thought they were considered an exotic small pet. The more you know...
10/04/2011
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by wrecklesswords
I did not know that! I just always thought they were considered an exotic small pet. The more you know...
Yeah, they're also considered an exotic small animal so you do know your stuff

They just also happen to be considered a wild animal. Not considered "pets" though.

Now, in many of the states where they are illegal you have the option of getting a license to keep them as pets, so that could always be an option for want-to-be owners who want to obey the law!
10/05/2011
Ash1141 Ash1141
What do they eat? And how are they finicky eaters? What kind of home do you keep them in? Are they happy in a cage? I really doubt we will get her one but I'm still curious about them.
10/05/2011
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by Ash1141
What do they eat? And how are they finicky eaters? What kind of home do you keep them in? Are they happy in a cage? I really doubt we will get her one but I'm still curious about them.
They eat mostly insects and you have to give them protein supplements of some sort, some veggies and some fruits. They're pretty picky little guys, and you have to make sure their calcium levels stay up there, because they often don't have a proper diet and lack calcium. I fed mine crickets and mealworms (live) and I made sure I bought special food for the crickets to keep them healthy and what is called "gut loaded". Any pet store that sells crickets and mealworms should have containers of cricket food that will do just fine

Oh, they're also loud. VERY loud. And they're nocturnal so be prepared for them to keep you awake if you sleep at night.

They need large cages but they also need to be taken out frequently and it is best to have no other pets in the house because they need room to be "free" and not be cooped up.

I used to go to SugarGlider.com for all of my info starting out, but there is quite a bit they don't cover!
10/05/2011
Total posts: 12
Unique posters: 6