What to do when the internet is down?

What to do when the internet is down?

- Kira - - Kira -
It looks like the hurricane will be making a direct hit on where I live. We aren't leaving since it's a Cat 1/Cat 2. The power will likely go out, possibly for a few days. That means no internet. Oh noes!

Considering my whole day is spent online, it seems I've forgotten what one does without it. All my books are on my iPad. If I can't charge it I won't even be able to read.

So what do you do without internet? Suggestions?
08/27/2012
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Save 70%. Limited Quantity
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • Save 50% on Selected Items
  • Spoil Him! Luxury Gift Set for Men For $60
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Intrepid Niddering Intrepid Niddering
I knit and cross-stitch. Or I play cards. Draw. Colour. Word Searches. I've got some sewing projects I need to get started on-- dyeing my fabric, painting, cutting, etc. I've been trying to persuade my mom to let me paint the fridge with chalkboard paint, but she won't let me. Instead, we compromised. She got me a whiteboard calendar she found at Target. I've got Primer and Chalkboard Paint and I'm going to turn the whiteboard into a chalkboard to put up in the kitchen. They're all just random little projects that are fun to do. And, you know, there's always cleaning. Going through your closet or under your bathroom sink and getting rid of stuff you don't wear or use.
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid Niddering
I knit and cross-stitch. Or I play cards. Draw. Colour. Word Searches. I've got some sewing projects I need to get started on-- dyeing my fabric, painting, cutting, etc. I've been trying to persuade my mom to let me paint the fridge with ...
We'll be staying at my mom's since she has higher ground, so no cleaning.

I haven't painted anything in forever. That could be fun! My son would enjoy it for sure...and make a mess in the process. LOL

I think the colored fridge sounds pretty awesome. Shame she won't let you do it.
08/27/2012
Sodom and Gomorrah Sodom and Gomorrah
If one day I was to have no internet I would first then I would and chase the one who messed it up.
08/27/2012
Gone (LD29) Gone (LD29)
Do you have time to make a trip to the library? Or stock up on magazines?

Also, a great time to bust out some old board games and play with your son. Show him what we did before video games!
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Sodom and Gomorrah
If one day I was to have no internet I would first then I would and chase the one who messed it up.
LOL. That's how I feel!
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Gone (LD29)
Do you have time to make a trip to the library? Or stock up on magazines?

Also, a great time to bust out some old board games and play with your son. Show him what we did before video games!
Depends on how fast I can get packed up. We don't have any board games. My son is just now old enough to (maybe) play some. The last game I bought for him he just threw the pieces all over. X.x If I can get packed fast enough maybe I can make a quick trip to Toys R Us.
08/27/2012
Gone (LD29) Gone (LD29)
Quote:
Originally posted by - Kira -
Depends on how fast I can get packed up. We don't have any board games. My son is just now old enough to (maybe) play some. The last game I bought for him he just threw the pieces all over. X.x If I can get packed fast enough maybe I can ...
Also, make sure all your battery operated stuff is charging now while you pack. We lost power for a few days from a storm earlier this summer, and we were at least able to watch 2 or 3 movies on my laptop before it died.
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Gone (LD29)
Also, make sure all your battery operated stuff is charging now while you pack. We lost power for a few days from a storm earlier this summer, and we were at least able to watch 2 or 3 movies on my laptop before it died.
It shouldn't hit until late Tuesday, so we'll be charging everything up tonight.
08/27/2012
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by Gone (LD29)
Also, make sure all your battery operated stuff is charging now while you pack. We lost power for a few days from a storm earlier this summer, and we were at least able to watch 2 or 3 movies on my laptop before it died.
You can also buy boosters that will recharge electronics like ipads and cell phones.

Board games or decks of cards are a must. So are lots and lots of candles, flashlights and oil lamps. But, I'm sure living where you do Kira, you already know this.

One of my favorite games is Phase 10. The more people you have playing, the more fun it is.

And of course, the bestest game ever for family fun time is shadow puppet theater. (Yes, I am a dork and a big kid at heart.)
08/27/2012
(k)InkyIvy (k)InkyIvy
I usually read a lot, play with our dog (more than usual), and swim.
08/27/2012
unfulfilled unfulfilled
Read, look through magazines, color-draw with the kids, play board games, make crafts with the kids.
08/27/2012
travelnurse travelnurse
Hey play with your toys!!!
08/27/2012
Beck Beck
Ugh! That really blows. I wouldn't know what to tell you to do. I would be the same as you. I would be lost and pissed off.

I think I would start cooking something that is going to take forever. Make a large batch of pasta from scratch. Start baking pies or cookies. All there would be to do is eat, cook, clean.
08/27/2012
Gdom Gdom
I second the "make a trip to the library" suggestion if that's at all possible. I'm a big lover of books and they've gotten me through more than a few internet outages.
08/27/2012
pink chains pink chains
Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid Niddering
I knit and cross-stitch. Or I play cards. Draw. Colour. Word Searches. I've got some sewing projects I need to get started on-- dyeing my fabric, painting, cutting, etc. I've been trying to persuade my mom to let me paint the fridge with ...
that is an awesome idea about painting your frige with chalkboard paint love that think i'm going to do that!
08/27/2012
pink chains pink chains
Quote:
Originally posted by Beck
Ugh! That really blows. I wouldn't know what to tell you to do. I would be the same as you. I would be lost and pissed off.

I think I would start cooking something that is going to take forever. Make a large batch of pasta from scratch. ...
my moms stick buns take 2 days to make!
08/27/2012
Gone (LD29) Gone (LD29)
Beck's post just made me think -- does your mom have a gas or electric stove/oven? You might have to plan food ahead if you're expecting to be without power if there's an electric stove. Also, bagged ice may be a hot commodity in your area right now...
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
You can also buy boosters that will recharge electronics like ipads and cell phones.

Board games or decks of cards are a must. So are lots and lots of candles, flashlights and oil lamps. But, I'm sure living where you do Kira, you already ...
My mom just told me about the boosters. That's so cool!

We'll just be me, hubby, and little one. So we won't have a ton of people to play games. Can Phase 10 be two people?
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Beck
Ugh! That really blows. I wouldn't know what to tell you to do. I would be the same as you. I would be lost and pissed off.

I think I would start cooking something that is going to take forever. Make a large batch of pasta from scratch. ...
No stove or oven.
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Gone (LD29)
Beck's post just made me think -- does your mom have a gas or electric stove/oven? You might have to plan food ahead if you're expecting to be without power if there's an electric stove. Also, bagged ice may be a hot commodity in your ...
Nope. It's electric. So we're getting ice chests, protein bars, and non perishable items to eat.
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by travelnurse
Hey play with your toys!!!
Aha. This is the best suggestion yet.
08/27/2012
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by - Kira -
My mom just told me about the boosters. That's so cool!

We'll just be me, hubby, and little one. So we won't have a ton of people to play games. Can Phase 10 be two people?
Oh yeah, you can play with just two people. You can also modify the rules to make it harder for just two people to play. It's kind of like Rummy and Uno combined.

Oh and there are battery operated electronic games, but they're kind of expensive in my book. But, you could weigh the cost of those against the cost of boosters for your ipad. It might be a "six, one half dozen" kind of thing.

Snag them now before unethical stores start jacking up the prices.
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
Oh yeah, you can play with just two people. You can also modify the rules to make it harder for just two people to play. It's kind of like Rummy and Uno combined.

Oh and there are battery operated electronic games, but they're kind of ...
Cool. I'll try to find it.

We have the boosters already. Mom told me about them cause she went out and bought them already. She's always super prepared for these things.
08/27/2012
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by - Kira -
Cool. I'll try to find it.

We have the boosters already. Mom told me about them cause she went out and bought them already. She's always super prepared for these things.
Good luck! Try not to kill each other. Gel packs to stay cool also help. Even just leaving them out in the air does wonders.
08/27/2012
Beck Beck
Quote:
Originally posted by - Kira -
No stove or oven.
OMG! That is even worse. You can't cook.
08/27/2012
chikisses chikisses
Good luck and stay safe.
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Beck
OMG! That is even worse. You can't cook.
I know!! It's just dark and boring. lol
08/27/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by chikisses
Good luck and stay safe.
Thanks!
08/27/2012
Mamastoys Mamastoys
I either read a good book or crochet! Or...if hubby is home....playtime!!! But since he is in law enforcement and the fire department, chances are I will be here alone with the cat!
Stay safe whatever you do!!!
08/27/2012
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 44
Unique posters: 24