What was your favorite childhood toy?

What was your favorite childhood toy?

Blinker Blinker
After reading the post on Silly Bandz, I got to thinking of all the stupid stuff I collected and HAD TO HAVE as a kid. Tamagotchis, Crackle nail polish, Polly Pocket, Littlest Pet Shop (I swear I have about 2 pounds of tiny plastic kitties, bunnies and doggies).

I liked Barbies but I always gave them "makeovers", aka, chopped thier hair off and removed limbs. I think I was Sid from Toy Story

So what did you guys play with when you were kids? What were your favorite toys, the toys you always HAD to have?

I think my all time favorite is Littlefoot from The Land Before Time. I still sleep with a Littlefoot stuffed dinosaur. He's ragged, the paint on his eyes is chipped and his eyelashes fell out years ago, but I still snuggle him and love him like the day my dad bought him for me.
10/27/2010
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Save 70%. Limited Quantity
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • Save 50% on Selected Items
  • Spoil Him! Luxury Gift Set for Men For $60
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
I don't remember much of what I was into as an older child, say 7-12? I was very crafty and bookish so I spent most of my time on those things. But I do remember being younger and being completely attached to a GloWorm 24/7 and bugging my half brother to play hungry hungry hippos with me until he couldn't stand me.
10/27/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Erector sets, Lego's and Hot Wheels. Those were my favorite's, a friend and me could play all day and night with those, usually all at once. Built a lot of models too.

My mom sold my suitcase of Lego's when I was 13 or 14 and I could have strangled her for selling them. She sold about $3000.00 worth of Lego's for $10.00, she said "Well I did not think you wanted them." To quote from the other thread, "FML"
10/27/2010
Chilipepper Chilipepper
I played with the He-Man, She-Ra, and Star Wars (original, non-remastered, watched on VHS edition) action figures with my cousins. I had a Rainbow Brite (original) doll - I even had Indigo who was an India-Indian from the original series. Several of the Strawberry Shortcake (original) scented dolls. A Holly Hobbie (original) doll. A couple of My Little Pony knock-offs. One Cabbage Patch Kid. A Pound Purry (the spin-off of Pound Puppies). My brother and I had the Real Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles figures (they were mostly his, but he let me play with them, too - I was in junior high at the time). Hell, I actually had Rose Petal Place and Herself the Elf dolls! Oh, and a Real Life Baby when I was ten (the ones that were shaped like three month old babies and could wear real baby clothes).

My absolute favorite was an ET stuffed toy I got for my sixth birthday. Better quality than the ones made at Universal Studios, even after 27 years. Still have him and will always be with me.
10/27/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
Quote:
Originally posted by Chilipepper
I played with the He-Man, She-Ra, and Star Wars (original, non-remastered, watched on VHS edition) action figures with my cousins. I had a Rainbow Brite (original) doll - I even had Indigo who was an India-Indian from the original series. Several of ...
I had a Cabbage Patch doll too - from when they were the big craze. I remember I called her Annabell. And she had the super short looped blonde hair.
10/27/2010
sweet sally sweet sally
Quote:
Originally posted by Chilipepper
I played with the He-Man, She-Ra, and Star Wars (original, non-remastered, watched on VHS edition) action figures with my cousins. I had a Rainbow Brite (original) doll - I even had Indigo who was an India-Indian from the original series. Several of ...
Wow, i forgot about the rosepetal dolls...i had those.

But, I guess my fav was Barbie. Had a ton of them. Loved clothes and shoes...still do. But, had the original Corvette where the remote was attached to the car, a couple houses, Jeep and horses, boxes and boxes of clothes. All different kinds of the dolls and, of course, Ken. But, he was never good enough for my Barbie, she was more of a GI Joe kinda gal.
10/27/2010
Alicia Alicia
Barbie and My Little Pony when I was younger.

Then as a preteen it was slap bracelets and koosh balls.

As a teen the big things were hacky sacks and buttons on back packs.
10/27/2010
leatherlover leatherlover
I liked Lego's, GI Joe, and my original Nintendo system. But probably my favorite would have to be the large scale model trains that my dad bought when I was 3 or so. My parents still have it to this day, and if I had space for it, I would have it in my apartment right now.
10/27/2010
gone77 gone77
Oh, wow, ummm *remembers* I loved Cabbage Page Kids, Barbie, My Little Pony, Matchbox cars, Monchichi (I think that's how it's spelled), She-Ra, He-Man, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Popples. I had an original Gizmo stuffed toy that I miss to this day!
10/27/2010
gone77 gone77
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
I had a Cabbage Patch doll too - from when they were the big craze. I remember I called her Annabell. And she had the super short looped blonde hair.
I had 2 Cabbage Patch kids: One named Darlene Jacob and a preemie named Ian Michael. I kept the name the girl doll came with, but changed the boy's. I don't remember what it originally was, though. lol
10/27/2010
Darling Jen Darling Jen
Oooo childhood toys! Original Polly Pockets, like two boxes worth of them. Lite Brite, Skip-It, K-nex building pieces, my SNES, and a little puppy toy that walked, barked, and flipped... because it looked lik my dog . Oh and I had those lincoln logs too but really didn't care for them.
10/27/2010
Gary Gary
I had different favorite toys at different points of my childhood, but the one that is the most special was a toy called Suckerman. (I had the red one.) It came out in 1978 (when I was 2 years old), I it was one of my favorites from before I was even in kindergarten. I still own this cool toy, and it is by far the oldest thing that I still own. My second oldest possession is the first record I ever got on vinyl, Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry from 1984. (I still love that record!)
10/27/2010
meganthomas meganthomas
Quote:
Originally posted by Darling Jen
Oooo childhood toys! Original Polly Pockets, like two boxes worth of them. Lite Brite, Skip-It, K-nex building pieces, my SNES, and a little puppy toy that walked, barked, and flipped... because it looked lik my dog . Oh and I had those lincoln logs ...
Omg- Skip-ittttttttt. that brings me back lol! i would have never remembered that one, but it was one of my favs
10/27/2010
Darling Jen Darling Jen
Quote:
Originally posted by meganthomas
Omg- Skip-ittttttttt. that brings me back lol! i would have never remembered that one, but it was one of my favs
I still have one! I found a place that still sold them a little over a decade ago and HAD to have one.
10/27/2010
Beth D Beth D
I don't really remember all that well (I have a surprising lack of childhood memories ) but I do know that my brother stole all of my coolest stuff. I had the Green Ranger's musical flute dagger, though. That was pretty awesome

Oh, I had barbies, too. It's just that Ken was never man enough for them and GI Joe was better And thus all of my barbies and GI Joe's were in the military and there was epic combat and war tribunals and court marshals. And maybe an execution or two.

I think I might have been a little strange...
10/28/2010
Gary Gary
Quote:
Originally posted by leatherlover
I liked Lego's, GI Joe, and my original Nintendo system. But probably my favorite would have to be the large scale model trains that my dad bought when I was 3 or so. My parents still have it to this day, and if I had space for it, I would have ...
The original NES rules! I still play that system!
10/28/2010
Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally posted by Blinker
After reading the post on Silly Bandz, I got to thinking of all the stupid stuff I collected and HAD TO HAVE as a kid. Tamagotchis, Crackle nail polish, Polly Pocket, Littlest Pet Shop (I swear I have about 2 pounds of tiny plastic kitties, bunnies ...
BREYERS HORSES!
I had a lot of barbies, too. I still have most of them, and a lot of them are unopened.

I also had hundred of TY's. Throughout the years I've been selling them. And of course, baby dolls...
10/28/2010
leatherlover leatherlover
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary
The original NES rules! I still play that system!
One of my crew rooms still has one that works, it was so much fun playing mario and tetris. Currently my wife and I have a Super Nintendo that still works.
10/28/2010
Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally posted by Sera
BREYERS HORSES!
I had a lot of barbies, too. I still have most of them, and a lot of them are unopened.

I also had hundred of TY's. Throughout the years I've been selling them. And of course, baby dolls...
And of course, I still collect My Little Pony and Breyers Horses to this day. And Hello Kitty, now.
10/28/2010
GeekWife GeekWife
I'm jumping on the original NES train too. We have a working one in our garage, just don't know where all the games are.

I was also big into the My Little Pony, but I hated horses ironically. And Pound Puppies/Pound Purries. Had a bunch of those.

And Babysitters Club books. I still have over 100 of those darned things. I could read one in like half an hour when I was a kid.
10/28/2010
Darling Jen Darling Jen
Speaking of books! What about some good R.L. Stine Goosebumps? Loved them.
10/28/2010
Gary Gary
Quote:
Originally posted by leatherlover
One of my crew rooms still has one that works, it was so much fun playing mario and tetris. Currently my wife and I have a Super Nintendo that still works.
I have an SNES and some games but I haven't played any yet, I need to fix the cotnrolelrs. I actually got into repairing the original 8-bit NES and games, the SNES system is a lot more durable.
10/29/2010
Alura Une Alura Une
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
Erector sets, Lego's and Hot Wheels. Those were my favorite's, a friend and me could play all day and night with those, usually all at once. Built a lot of models too.

My mom sold my suitcase of Lego's when I was 13 or 14 and I ...
That is sad, hearing about your Legos. Ah, moms! :'0
10/29/2010
Alura Une Alura Une
When I was very young, I went through a tomboy phase and liked boy and gender neutral toys, and on the more feminine side, She-Ra.

But my favorite childhood toy was probably My Little Pony. I had (still have somewhere) maybe 25 of them? I took good care of them. I appreciated their bizarre shapes. They were my close friends for a while. I almost never asked for toys and I was still somehow treated to a pony every few months. At the time my parents were financially not so well-off, I had gone through some bad stuff myself. They got me the friggin' Paradise Estate. I was in heaven.

I wasn't so fond of baby dolls except for one that was like a robot.

Later, the most humanoid dolls I had were mermaids because that was the cool thing then (but I was weirdly obsessed...).

The less "real" a toy was, the better.

I talked a female friend recently and we noted our childhood tastes and quirks were similar. I think it is interesting that now we both care a lot for animals, fantasy, don't care to have children. I think toys shape us quite a lot.
10/29/2010
meganthomas meganthomas
Quote:
Originally posted by Darling Jen
I still have one! I found a place that still sold them a little over a decade ago and HAD to have one.
i am seriously soooo jealous!!! you can't find them ANYWHERE these days! ughhh- jealous jealous jealous! ...but im happy for you *pout*
10/30/2010
Pandahb Pandahb
Jell pens, video games, ummmm.... pokemon cards!
10/31/2010
Darling Jen Darling Jen
Quote:
Originally posted by meganthomas
i am seriously soooo jealous!!! you can't find them ANYWHERE these days! ughhh- jealous jealous jealous! ...but im happy for you *pout*
Lol! I'm actually considering selling it (and other stuff) because I need the money and I'm running out of room to store my stuff going from a 3-bedroom apartment to one room in my parents' house.
10/31/2010
Total posts: 27
Unique posters: 16