Positive suggestions

Positive suggestions

Me4real Me4real
I have been thinking about something ever since I first coming to the site as a customer and thought I would throw it out there and get some input on it. When I am looking at something that I am interested in purchasing, I scroll down to the 'comment' section to see what others have to say about the toy and low and behold, there are a list of comments about the reviewer's review writing abilities and not many about the toy itself. If I am interested in a toy and go down to that section, I like seeing questions and comments about the toy that were not included in the review.

Shouldn't the positive suggestions and long, drawn out discussions referring to a reviewer's writing skills be addressed through the messaging system rather than be brought out on the product page? I do think that it would make the site more professional.

I really do appreciate suggestions on how to improve my reviewing skills because I am not perfect and I don't profess to be, but I don't think the product page is the place to do it. What do you all think?
01/02/2010
  • Buy 1 Toy, Get 1 FREE
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Save 80%. Limited Quantity
  • Save 50% on Selected Items
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Adriana Ravenlust Adriana Ravenlust
Comments like that do not show up on the product page, that I can see. They show up on the review itself which is completely different from the comment page. And I don't see why those comments shouldn't be there. Whether I'm asking about a certain function or making suggestions about grammar, they both contribute to a better review. In fact, I've rarely looked at comments from a customer's stand point despite that fact that I almost always shop at EF.
01/02/2010
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
Before we became reviewers I remember looking at some of the comments when we were shopping and thinking "How rude of somebody to correct the writer like that," so I understand exactly what you're saying. We actually thought some of the responders were just tactless and would skip over their reviews while shopping as a result because we hadn't encountered those sort of comments on other review sites.
01/02/2010
...... ......
I believe for the most part the comment section is to comment on the review itself. And also to ask any questions that weren't addressed in the review.
01/02/2010
Erachten Erachten
I know what you're talking about, I don't see it real often but it is annoying when people correct reviewers via comments. If you wanna put in a helpful suggestion, i'd say use the message system to keep the comment section clean. I think the comment section should be used to either
- add something about the toy
- add a helpful comment (like "btw, this is great as a massage oil to")
- ask a question so the reviewer can answer
- or leave a "thank you/nice review" message to the reviewer because everyone likes feeling appreciated lol.
01/02/2010
Adriana Ravenlust Adriana Ravenlust
Quote:
Originally posted by Erachten
I know what you're talking about, I don't see it real often but it is annoying when people correct reviewers via comments. If you wanna put in a helpful suggestion, i'd say use the message system to keep the comment section clean. I think ...
Those 'thank you comments' are so entirely useless. =/
01/02/2010
Erachten Erachten
Well, not entirely useless. It does increase post count
Some people like getting thanked, it makes them feel good and feel like they're appreciated. And it does make the site feel a little bit more..."neighbory" which it seems like that's what edenfantasy wants so it sets them apart from the regular 'smut' sex toy sites.
01/02/2010
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
This is probably the wrong post for me to say this but, what the hell.

Only thing I find very annoying is the politics. I haven't been here long, and so far, I hope I haven't made any enemies or rivals, but I see it occasionally when someone votes negative on someone's review ( I saw one that had like 99% positive and 1 negative, and the no comment from the negative). Those are the things I would like to see gone.

Rude comments are also an annoyance, I think that people should think and write their comments more elegantly. Who am I to tell someone how to write? (I can hear someone shouting that at the top of their lungs already) Well I am nobody, I am a nobody with an opinion, and I take peoples feelings into account. Someone took the time to review a product, so that is worth something, just as it is when someone takes the time to read a review.
01/03/2010
Adriana Ravenlust Adriana Ravenlust
Quote:
Originally posted by Erachten
Well, not entirely useless. It does increase post count
Some people like getting thanked, it makes them feel good and feel like they're appreciated. And it does make the site feel a little bit more..."neighbory" which it seems like ...
We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
01/03/2010
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
This is probably the wrong post for me to say this but, what the hell.

Only thing I find very annoying is the politics. I haven't been here long, and so far, I hope I haven't made any enemies or rivals, but I see it occasionally when ...
Then again, maybe I am a Hippie. If that makes me one then, Love & Peace! (We are on a sex forum!for #$# sakes) Love & Peace!
01/03/2010
...... ......
Quote:
Originally posted by Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
This is probably the wrong post for me to say this but, what the hell.

Only thing I find very annoying is the politics. I haven't been here long, and so far, I hope I haven't made any enemies or rivals, but I see it occasionally when ...
Though you're correct, this is off topic. I think what you had to say, especially that last part is really important for all of us to remember when we're commenting or voting on reviews.
01/03/2010
Dangerous Lilly Dangerous Lilly
Quote:
Originally posted by Me4real
I have been thinking about something ever since I first coming to the site as a customer and thought I would throw it out there and get some input on it. When I am looking at something that I am interested in purchasing, I scroll down to the ...
I 100% agree with you. I don't write my reviews so that other toy-savvy reviewers will like them; I write them so that customers have another opinion. For me *personally* the corrective comments and negative reviews usually don't come off like that person read my off-site review. They hold my off-site review to the same standards as the drawn out on-site review text.

If someone has a valid question about a point I didn't cover well enough in my review, ask it, I'll happily ramble on more about the toy. I really appreciate when another reviewer asks "is it similar to Layaspot/Bnaughty/Gigi /etc" because that tells the customer who is buying, more information.

And to address what others say about these comments not being visible on the items page, no they're not but most people who are buying will click over and read the full review and then these comments are visible. I think some of you are forgetting perhaps to look at this through the eyes of a customer.
01/03/2010
Sir Sir
I have seen some rude comments made on the product page about the reviews, but it's rare (I've only seen two and I've searched practically the entire site), so I do not feel that it's something that needs to be drawn attention to. Also, the people who have made these comments have practically written reviews themselves within the comment section, so even though it's rude, I do not think that it's such a big deal.

As for the comments on reviews, I agree that sometimes it might be better to write those as messages, even though I never do, because isn't that the entire point of the comment section? To ask questions, write tips, compliment, help? I thought that this is why our rating goes up because of commenting, because it's assumed that we're doing one of those things when we comment to be an asset to the community.

I think that what should be more worried about is people either answering questions for the reviewer, outright disagreeing with them on their review and making a scene, or being rude to one another. That's what is unacceptable, not writing helpful things.

Also, even if a customer sees these comments, I do not think that it's anything to worry about. Honestly, if I was a customer, I would not even read the comments. Actually, I don't. When I'm looking to buy something on Edenfantasys, I read the reviews and ignore the comments, because the comments are not what are going to help me in my decision (which is why I always stress that people edit their reviews to add things that people may have brought up in the comment section). Maybe other people do not do this, but why would it sway their opinion?

I also agree with Adriana though in that thanking someone for a review via the comments on the product page is a bit unnecessary. I feel that that should be done on the review itself, not on the product page. I thought that the comments section on the product page was for writing comments about the product itself. Maybe I am incorrect, but I thought that it was what every other company had: a comment section where you write about the product, and give it a star/number rating. Writing "thank yous" there seems a little unnecessary, as that is something not helpful to customers.
01/03/2010
Dragon Dragon
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir
I have seen some rude comments made on the product page about the reviews, but it's rare (I've only seen two and I've searched practically the entire site), so I do not feel that it's something that needs to be drawn attention to. ...
Write Thank- you's as a comment? I'm with you there. UGH. That's just silly.

However, there are an endless amount of reviews that do not get edited for information that is found in the comments, and sometimes there is a very interesting back and forth commentary in the comments.

For example.

I know of one review where the reviewer indicated safe for anal play. Two comments said, no. The reviewer came back and said only with a good grip.

Another review by Jimbo Jones told of questions answered over time with the usage - something that couldn't have been done without changing the original review substantially.

And in several cases comments are offered by those that have a different usage or experience with the toy than the reviewer might have experienced.
01/03/2010
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Hey I am all for people who do not want "Thank you comments". I'll write down your name and make sure I do not thank you or make any "Nice review" on your reviews. They do add up to your points, but if you do not want them then that is fine

I guess I'll just vote. I think it is more silly to complain when someone takes the time to write you a "Nice Review", than it is silly for people to leave those comments.

You can not please everyone, there is always someone out there with the exact opposite view as you and you can do nothing to change it (or even explain your side)

If someone wants to say "Nice Review" on my reviews, feel free to. Unless there is a new rule stating otherwise, feel free to on my reviews, I will not complain.
01/03/2010
Sir Sir
Quote:
Originally posted by Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Hey I am all for people who do not want "Thank you comments". I'll write down your name and make sure I do not thank you or make any "Nice review" on your reviews. They do add up to your points, but if you do not want them ...
That isn't what I said at all. I said that they should not go on the product page, but rather on the reviews themselves.
01/03/2010
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir
That isn't what I said at all. I said that they should not go on the product page, but rather on the reviews themselves.
I wasn't trying to single you out, I must have misread.

Sorry Sir!
01/03/2010
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
I wasn't trying to single you out, I must have misread.

Sorry Sir!
Writing comments on product page might not be appropriate. I do not know. I think I'll stick my nose out of this before I get in deeper and drown.
01/03/2010
Sir Sir
Quote:
Originally posted by Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Writing comments on product page might not be appropriate. I do not know. I think I'll stick my nose out of this before I get in deeper and drown.
That's quite alright! Writing thank yous is always nice, I never thought otherwise. (Not sure if other people misread or skimmed over and thought that that's what I meant.) You are able to write comments on the product page, of course! But I'm still contemplating what the content should be of those comments, because like I said, I thought that it was to comment on the product after having it or owning it, basically saying, "Wow, I loved this dildo, the texture is perfect, it's a good size, and my partner and I had a great time with it!" Or, "This set is so adorable, I love surprising my partner with it sometimes for special nights, it makes him wild."
01/03/2010
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir
That's quite alright! Writing thank yous is always nice, I never thought otherwise. (Not sure if other people misread or skimmed over and thought that that's what I meant.) You are able to write comments on the product page, of course! ...
I would agree fully with that

I thought that was what it was for, I have seen an insult before, not very many but I remember seeing one.

"Why don't u guys go git a rel gurl" comments like that are annoying.
01/03/2010
Sir Sir
Quote:
Originally posted by Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
I would agree fully with that

I thought that was what it was for, I have seen an insult before, not very many but I remember seeing one.

"Why don't u guys go git a rel gurl" comments like that are annoying.
I've seen them too, that's why I said that yes, they are there. And I know exactly which one you're talking about, by the way. But there aren't so many that it needs to be worried about, because, as a whole of all of the products, I've only seen a few that were rude remarks, and one that was a bash on someone's review. If you have the links, I'm sure that you can bring them to Gary or someone else's attention and they'll see what they can do about it, because I know that Edenfantasys does not tolerate things like that. We're a sex positive community, so comments like that are just inappropriate and...frankly, stupid!
01/03/2010
LicentiouslyYours LicentiouslyYours
I don't believe thanking someone for taking the time to write a review is at all useless. Nor do I think that politely offered suggestions for improvement or questions about things not mentioned in a review are a bad idea either. To my knowledge, all comments on a review appear under the review itself and not on the product page.

Eden has a long tradition of making comments and offering suggestions from one contributor to another as a way of helping each other improve our reviews. If someone can find a way in which our reviews can be improved, why wouldn't we want those suggestions and the chance to improve? Not only that but all comments benefit the reviewer in their ranking, so even if a comment is a criticism, the reviewer improves their score.

I believe 99% of comments and suggestions are offered in good faith and should be taken as if offered in a positive fashion. Text is a hard medium to communicate in and what can appear rude is often simply a miss-communicated or misinterpreted thought with no intended rudeness at all. True rudeness is dealt with by Eden staff and so honestly, the majority of people do not actually set out to be rude. They do know better, so we should all give each other the benefit of the doubt. It makes things far more pleasant for us all.
01/03/2010
Sammi Sammi
Quote:
Originally posted by LicentiouslyYours
I don't believe thanking someone for taking the time to write a review is at all useless. Nor do I think that politely offered suggestions for improvement or questions about things not mentioned in a review are a bad idea either. To my knowledge, ...
Agreed
01/03/2010
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Quote:
Originally posted by LicentiouslyYours
I don't believe thanking someone for taking the time to write a review is at all useless. Nor do I think that politely offered suggestions for improvement or questions about things not mentioned in a review are a bad idea either. To my knowledge, ...
I agree

I like suggestions personally, They have helped me.
01/04/2010
Total posts: 24
Unique posters: 11