IUD vs. the pill

IUD vs. the pill

snowminx snowminx
I've never used any kind of birth control besides condoms. I'm thinking about getting the copper IUD paragard since it would last for up to ten years and I wouldn't have to take something every day. But lately I've been thinking about my period being irregular a lot and how some of the things that come with my period affect my daily life. I'm not a big fan of hormones though, they have a lot of side effects and there's not much research into the long term effects of using birth control for years.
Should I at least try the pill to see how I will react to it before I decide to get a IUD?
03/02/2013
  • Save 80% on Selected Items. Limited Quantity
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • Spoil Him! Luxury Gift Set for Men For $60
  • The Complete Lovers Kit! Expert Couples Gift Set For $60
  • Backdoor Ecstasy! Opulent Anal Gift Set For $60
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Rin (aka Nire) Rin (aka Nire)
I'd say to give it a try, mainly because if it effects you negatively it's a lot easier to stop taking a pill than to have an implant removed. Have you talked with your doctor about it?
03/02/2013
snowminx snowminx
Quote:
Originally posted by Rin (aka Nire)
I'd say to give it a try, mainly because if it effects you negatively it's a lot easier to stop taking a pill than to have an implant removed. Have you talked with your doctor about it?
No I haven't, I don't have a specific doctor anymore since he moved to a different hospital and it's hard to me to ask questions openly to strangers face to face. I also never really went to the doctor unless I was sick so I don't really think they could help that much.
I've been looking a lot into both of them but I'm not quite sure what I should do yet. Paragard didn't seem to have that many negative affects from what I could find researching online. It does have a couple really risky ones but they are not that common.
Also thanks for the response.
03/02/2013
married with children married with children
My wife uses the copper IUD, and like any birth control there are some side effects. Her period is irregular. But for not having to use hormones as a form of birth control, I would say it is worth it.
03/02/2013
marriedlady123 marriedlady123
HAve you considered the shot? It seems like a middle of the road between the pill and the IUD. I have one and love it.
03/02/2013
bayosgirl bayosgirl
I'm getting an IUD (prob. Mirena not the copper one) after our baby is born.
03/03/2013
bog bog
Quote:
Originally posted by snowminx
I've never used any kind of birth control besides condoms. I'm thinking about getting the copper IUD paragard since it would last for up to ten years and I wouldn't have to take something every day. But lately I've been thinking about ...
A LOT of people have really bad experiences with both. A classmate's Mirena moved inside of her and needed to be surgically removed and caused scarring and damage and intense pain for a long time. Another friend's sister has problems with Yaz that landed her in the hospital more than once.

I know these side effects are not very common, but who ends up in the hospital because of condoms?
03/03/2013
snowminx snowminx
Quote:
Originally posted by bog
A LOT of people have really bad experiences with both. A classmate's Mirena moved inside of her and needed to be surgically removed and caused scarring and damage and intense pain for a long time. Another friend's sister has problems with Yaz ...
When the condom breaks and the woman as a baby? lol
I know condoms are good when used correctly but I hate not having control over any of it. The guy could be leaving the condoms in his wallet or glove department to get damaged in the heat. I also had a time when a guy I was dating already came inside the condom but it stayed inside of me when he pulled out so worried some of it could have leaked somehow.
They IUD moving around I hear is very rare but it's a higher risk to someone that hasn't giving birth yet so it's a possible that it might happen to me. I've also heard the bad experiences with some of the hormonal methods and those scare me a lot.
03/03/2013
snowminx snowminx
Quote:
Originally posted by marriedlady123
HAve you considered the shot? It seems like a middle of the road between the pill and the IUD. I have one and love it.
I might bring that up if I go to ask as doctor about the IUD. The problem I see there though is it's even more hormones than taking the pill for a month and if you get side effects I would think they would be worse because of the high dosage. I could be wrong about that though, I haven't looked into the shot for a long time.
03/03/2013
Rin (aka Nire) Rin (aka Nire)
Quote:
Originally posted by snowminx
When the condom breaks and the woman as a baby? lol
I know condoms are good when used correctly but I hate not having control over any of it. The guy could be leaving the condoms in his wallet or glove department to get damaged in the heat. I also ...
There's nothing that says you couldn't be the one to hang onto the condoms, yaknow. There's your control right there - and I'm of the opinion that any sensible lady should have condoms in her purse just in case.

Besides, if you haven't both been screened for STDs, it's sensible to continue using condoms even if you're on another type of birth control. I just started on the pill last week, but nobody's going bareback with me without a trip to the doctor.
03/03/2013
marriedlady123 marriedlady123
Quote:
Originally posted by snowminx
I might bring that up if I go to ask as doctor about the IUD. The problem I see there though is it's even more hormones than taking the pill for a month and if you get side effects I would think they would be worse because of the high dosage. I ...
Some women have had lots of side effects, but I have been getting it for about five or six years and have had no problems. Talk to your doc about it, they might be able to help you figure out how you would react to it.
03/03/2013
melliegirl melliegirl
try the pill first. You'd have a better knowledge of your period that way. Therefore you'd have a better idea if you got pregnant. The iud can get out without you realizing it
03/04/2013
earthmama earthmama
I have the Mirena, going on 3 years now I think. I love the peace of mind and not having to take the pill. My period is irregular, but I don't mind that. I have occasionally had irregular bleeding, and once had to go get an ultrasound to get it checked out. There was no problem. This was during a time when I had an amazing boyfriend and was engaging in rather vigorous sexual activity more frequently than what I'd been used to. I feel a little awkward about the string. Normally it hasn't been an issue. I think everyone's experience will be different, and there are pros and cons to every type of birth control.
03/09/2013
Total posts: 13
Unique posters: 8