bayosgirl bayosgirl
I'd like to hear from people who've gone through annulment (as opposed to divorce.) I read that it is possible within 2 years of marriage and under certain circumstances. Long story short, I feel like I married the wrong person for the wrong reasons. There is immigration crap involved. No offense to any divorcees here, but I do NOT want the label "divorced" anywhere near my record. I just want it to go away. No judgements, please. I know I made the wrong decision and I don't need to beaten over the head with it anymore than my family already has. Thanks.
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • The Complete Lovers Kit! Expert Couples Gift Set For $60
  • Spoil Him! Luxury Gift Set for Men For $60
  • Save 85% on Selected Items. Limited Quantity
  • Save 70% on Selected Items. Limited Quantity
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Rossie Rossie
Don't be silly, nobody is going to judge you, if you think your marriage is going nowhere, it's better to terminate it than getting stuck with the wrong guy forever. Every state has their own annulment law, you should find a family lawyer to handle things properly, especially when immigration status is involved.
Chilipepper Chilipepper
Rossie is correct, you do need a lawyer to do this. Annulments are more complicated than regular divorces, so you need someone more well-versed in annulment proceedings. Look for a lawyer who specializes in family law.
P'Gell P'Gell
As others have said, you definitely need a lawyer.

My parents got an annulment, more than 30 years after they were married! But, it was a religious annulment from the Catholic church. They had obtained a legal divorce 10 years before that, and my mother felt she couldn't get married again without annulling her 18 year marriage.

I would talk to a divorce lawyer (as I'm assuming that's who handles these things) or if you only want a church annulment (which can take between a few months to several years depending on the "Plan" you choose (aka, the amount of money "donated" to the Catholic Church. My parents had some money, so theirs went through quickly, I had a friend who did this who had little money and it took 2 years.) But, with a Church Annulment only, in most states you are still legally married and need to obtain either a legal divorce or legal annulment.

If you got married Catholic, you'd need to talk to the priest or pastor in the Church who married you, if possible. If not, you'll have to go to someone in the Diocese. But, then a legal divorce or annulment would still be necessary, religious annulments are not a legal dissolving of marriage, although legal secular annulments are legally the same as divorce, meaning you are free and clear of the marriage.
Tuesday Tuesday
Just make sure you use a lawyer who specializes in divorce. My mom asked her real estate lawyer to handle her divorce. While he was awesome for her real estate issues, his heart wasn't into handling the divorce and he did a lousy job.

Rossie Rossie
Oops, I meant "Family Law lawyer" not family lawyer, I must be too sleepy and made that typo! Sorry!
Total posts: 6
Unique posters: 5