For the editors

For the editors

Badass Badass
What are some of the things you hate having to correct when editing?
What do you dislike seeing in a review?
01/31/2012
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Save 70%. Limited Quantity
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • Save 50% on Selected Items
  • Spoil Him! Luxury Gift Set for Men For $60
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
El-Jaro El-Jaro
1. Really bad grammar and spelling.
2. Ignorance of the glory of the Oxford comma.
3. Its/It's
4. There/Their/They're
5. Abused commas. The dog ran around the fence, and then it promptly collapsed.
6. Emoticons as punctuation.
01/31/2012
Beck Beck
Bad Spacing.
01/31/2012
Ms. N Ms. N
Quote:
Originally posted by El-Jaro
1. Really bad grammar and spelling.
2. Ignorance of the glory of the Oxford comma.
3. Its/It's
4. There/Their/They're
5. Abused commas. The dog ran around the fence, and then it promptly collapsed.
6. Emoticons as punctuation.
#2 - Amen!

#5 - It's not so much the comma in this case, but rather the way the sentence is constructed. You can't tell if it was the dog or the fence that collapsed.


I'm not an editor here, but I have done a lot of editing elsewhere over the years, for friends and professionally, so I had to jump into the conversation.
01/31/2012
Badass Badass
Quote:
Originally posted by Badass
What are some of the things you hate having to correct when editing?
What do you dislike seeing in a review?
thank you much!
02/01/2012
B8trDude B8trDude
I defiantly dislike when their are to many mistakes, but when there are not many, than I am ok, but thats ok cuz then we get to correct everything, but then when thats okay cuz i like two review things to. Like, i really get annoyed when its hard to find any capitol letters in reviews that r, like, ready to be proofed. And, i don't like when sentences start with conjunctions, and also they have to meny commas, especially, like, when they are used constantly. another thing that gets under my skin is when some words ARE all capitols for emphasis, but, even THEN THEY stress the wrong WORDS. And, like when apostrophies are used incorrectly especially things like its and it's. i dont like that because its wrong not to use them, and when you do, they dont make any sense. . . and, then, their is the use of two many ellipses.....but they are then not used right to. Just remember its is supposed to possessive, and it's is supposed to be a contraction for, like, "it is", but who am i to say? And, their is a problem with mixing tenses, i like reviewing things but i am looking for these mistakes always, and then it is good. And, another problem. Are sentences. Like. Sometimes they are. And sometimes they arent. to short. ok?

An other thing i noticed.

Is that paragraphs are short.

And, i'm not sure why.

And, another problem, is when the same words, are used more then 1x in a sentence, and then that is a problem, which reminds me that you should not use the same word many times in a sentence as thats a problem, see what i mean?

Okay! I think I've made my point! Actually, I really do enjoy being an editor. I've had the opportunity to read many reviews I would have otherwise ignored. Everyone makes mistakes - even the best writers. When I write my own reviews, I read them many times before posting and yet I always find mistakes later. Of course, I try to correct those too.

The best way to catch errors (at least for me) is to run everything through a word processor first, then read the review out loud. LOL!
03/25/2012
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by B8trDude
I defiantly dislike when their are to many mistakes, but when there are not many, than I am ok, but thats ok cuz then we get to correct everything, but then when thats okay cuz i like two review things to. Like, i really get annoyed when its hard to ...
Bwahahahaha!
03/25/2012
B8trDude B8trDude
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
Bwahahahaha!
Sorry, but I couldn't help it! BTW, I could of [sic] been a little less brutal but it was too fun to resist.
03/25/2012
Zombirella Zombirella
Quote:
Originally posted by B8trDude
I defiantly dislike when their are to many mistakes, but when there are not many, than I am ok, but thats ok cuz then we get to correct everything, but then when thats okay cuz i like two review things to. Like, i really get annoyed when its hard to ...
At first I didn't catch the sarcasm! I was thinking you have a lot of nerve saying that when you have mistakes here. Then after I got past the first few sentences I experienced the face/palm moment.
03/26/2012
mama2007 mama2007
Quote:
Originally posted by El-Jaro
1. Really bad grammar and spelling.
2. Ignorance of the glory of the Oxford comma.
3. Its/It's
4. There/Their/They're
5. Abused commas. The dog ran around the fence, and then it promptly collapsed.
6. Emoticons as punctuation.
yep me too lol.

I don't edit the review myself; i write in the comment box what "you said" and then i paste the sentences they need to correct, and then i say "word it more like this" and i give hints on what to re-do, etc. so that they're having to do the work, not me. I just help them out with how to use grammar, spelling etc
03/27/2012
B8trDude B8trDude
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombirella
At first I didn't catch the sarcasm! I was thinking you have a lot of nerve saying that when you have mistakes here. Then after I got past the first few sentences I experienced the face/palm moment.
Glad you caught on!
03/27/2012
Total posts: 11
Unique posters: 8