Chemical Odor with Tantus Neo

Chemical Odor with Tantus Neo

jen1447 jen1447
Can anyone shed any light on why a high quality silicone toy would take on a strong chemical smell after being used with water-based lubricant and/or washed with simple soap and water? Last night I was using my newly acquired Tantus Neo on the BF (his butt specifically) and afterwards it adopted a rather nasty chemical odor that won't go away. I'm airing it out in the open air now in hopes that will help but I think the prospects are dim.

Tantus is supposed to be a high quality brand and I got it from a reputable seller so I'm a bit perplexed by it all. I know even the best silicone toys can take on some unpleasant smells but it's usually pretty faint and this is just too strong.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on what to try, that'd be great. I'm skeptical of the boiling/baking tips just simply because this isn't an 'organic' odor but rather a chemical one.

Thanks.
Jan 19, 5:50 pm
  • Save 80% on Selected Items. Limited Quantity
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • Spoil Him! Luxury Gift Set for Men For $60
  • The Complete Lovers Kit! Expert Couples Gift Set For $60
  • Backdoor Ecstasy! Opulent Anal Gift Set For $60
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
OH&W, Lovebears OH&W, Lovebears
Quote:
Originally posted by jen1447
Can anyone shed any light on why a high quality silicone toy would take on a strong chemical smell after being used with water-based lubricant and/or washed with simple soap and water? Last night I was using my newly acquired Tantus Neo on the BF ...
You are right. You can leave it out there for weeks and not help. Not even running a fan on it.

Not sure of you Tantus Neo, but some toys are only silicone coated. Esp firm ones.
Chemical odor ? Not something picked up for playing ? Did you happen to smell it before using it ?

Perhaps go back to the seller and ask if can exchange.
Or try soaking in a bleach to water solution overnite. Start with 1 part hshold bleach and 9 parts water. If silicone (which it says it is) should not affect the toy itself. Then soak in vinegar water 1 part vinegar to 8 parts water. Then wash with soap and water.

Boiling will sanitize but not necessary remove odors but does give peace of mind. Or as I have read but never tried. Put on top shelf of automatic dish machine on top shelf.

The edenfantasy toy cleaner works well for removing odors also. Sometimes takes more than one try though. check it out here:
link

And so does the Wicked Cleene, also sold here.

Are you sure it was not from his rear end ? Did you guys clean out first ? If not eden also sells douche bottles sprayers. It's best to always clean out before anal play.
Jan 19, 6:14 pm
jen1447 jen1447
Quote:
Originally posted by OH&W, Lovebears
You are right. You can leave it out there for weeks and not help. Not even running a fan on it.

Not sure of you Tantus Neo, but some toys are only silicone coated. Esp firm ones.
Chemical odor ? Not something picked up for playing ? Did ...
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it smells like a PVC pipe factory, nothing poop-like at all. And when we first got it, it had only a very faint rubbery smell like most silicone toys. This is quite strong and, while not overtly offensive like say poop would be, it does get old very fast and starts to give you that 'poison' sensation, like breathing toxins or whatever. (If I thought that was actually happening I'd throw it out immediately but the only things it's been exposed to are my BF's butt, KY jelly, Lelo personal moisturizer and soap and water. Seemed to coincide with the use of the Lelo moisturizer ....that's odd too because I think KY's actually less 'pure' than Lelo.)

Anyway I'll try the soaking solutions, thanks.
Jan 19, 8:36 pm
OH&W, Lovebears OH&W, Lovebears
Quote:
Originally posted by jen1447
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it smells like a PVC pipe factory, nothing poop-like at all. And when we first got it, it had only a very faint rubbery smell like most silicone toys. This is quite strong and, while not overtly offensive like say ...
Oh boy, any chance someone used silicone lube on it ? Is there any in the house? Maybe he did w/o your knowledge. Sounds like might be breaking down.
Can't use silicone lube on silicone products.

I guess you may need to use a condom for now. Be sure it's water based lubed if prelubed. And add some more for his sake.

Does this have the authentic Tantus logo on the base ?
We once bought a real good fake Jopen Intensity. Everything looks exact, but didn't work well or at all. The giveaway was it only fit 3 batteries and the real one takes 4.
Jan 20, 6:54 pm
jen1447 jen1447
Quote:
Originally posted by OH&W, Lovebears
Oh boy, any chance someone used silicone lube on it ? Is there any in the house? Maybe he did w/o your knowledge. Sounds like might be breaking down.
Can't use silicone lube on silicone products.

I guess you may need to use a condom ...
Yeah, it has the logo and the box, and aside from the odor the silicon is good quality (texture, rigidity, etc.). BF didn't use any other lubes on it. (We have a unique relationship where he isn't 'allowed' to do any of that w/out my knowledge and permission and usually involvement.

We ended up more or less bringing it back to normal by first airing it out for like 2 whole days - actually outside in the open air, then soaking it in a water/baking soda solution for about 4 hours, then leaving it with a dry coat of baking soda for about 4 hours. And then washing it off with soap and water. It still has a faint rubbery odor but iirc it's pretty much the same type and intensity as the one it was born with.

So feel free to add this to the knowledge base, and thanks for the responses.
Jan 22, 10:09 pm
Inquisitor Inquisitor
Quote:
Originally posted by jen1447
Yeah, it has the logo and the box, and aside from the odor the silicon is good quality (texture, rigidity, etc.). BF didn't use any other lubes on it. (We have a unique relationship where he isn't 'allowed' to do any of that w/out my ...
Wow, that's good to know. I'll have to add that to the list of cleaning methods. I didn't think baking soda would be good with Tantus' silicone. Thanks Jen!
Jan 31, 8:44 pm
OH&W, Lovebears OH&W, Lovebears
Quote:
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Wow, that's good to know. I'll have to add that to the list of cleaning methods. I didn't think baking soda would be good with Tantus' silicone. Thanks Jen!
Baking soda, yes.
Hanging plugs and dildoes on the clothes line, No.
Bunch of dildos and plugs sitting on the window sill, No.

Everybody has camera phones now days.

Unless you have no neighbors....
Feb 1, 6:15 pm
Total posts: 7
Unique posters: 3