Silicone, wood, and metal: Safe to store together?

Silicone, wood, and metal: Safe to store together?

Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Over a week ago, I had read a discussion in the forum where it is stated that it is safe to store silicone with other silicone toys. This has cleared up a big misconception that had been previously passed along to me. Due to this misconception, I had invested in a large number of toy pouches to store each and every single one of my toys separately. However, the pouches themselves took up a lot of volume in my tote and chest.

Once I freed my toys from their pouches, I was able to store them in my toy box more efficiently (i.e., space-wise).

It was also much, MUCH easier to find the toy that I was looking for. I had discovered that "out of sight" translated into "out of mind" -- and I was ignoring several toys simply because I had forgotten about them. I love having them all visible and more readily at my fingertips.

However, I have read in my LELO user manual not to allow silicone to touch toys of other materials. Isn't this just for rubber and jelly products though?

Is it safe for silicone products to touch metal products (such as Tantus' Alumina line, alloy, or stainless steel), wood (which is varnished with a food-safe glaze), high quality plastics (like those used in LELO products), and glass?

I am currently storing my Tantus silicone products in direct contact with my Tantus Alumina line and a Big Teaze Dai-Do #4. My NobEssence Seduction is in direct contact with my FunFactory Bootie. My LELO vibrators and Luna Balls are all stored in direct contact with each other.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with these types of storage examples? I love the convenience, but don't want to regret ruining anything! Thank you in advance for any advice.
08/28/2010
  • Buy 1 Toy, Get 1 FREE
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Save 80%. Limited Quantity
  • Save 50% on Selected Items
  • Sexy Treats For Her! Gorgeous Gift Set For $60
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Envy Envy
I'm not sure myself, i don't see how it'd be an issue, really, but like you, I'm curious. Hope someone can come and clear this up, I'd like to know too! (I just wrap my toys in cloth tho, no bags for me.)
08/28/2010
Liz Liz
I'm honestly not sure of the ramifications of direct-contact storage for these types of toys-- I keep all of my toys in individual plastic bags, just to be on the safe side (also cuts down on dust and fiber pickup). I would be curious as well, though, particularly about the wood and silicone toys. Seems to me like metal should be fine.
08/28/2010
ScottA ScottA
With metal, glass and wood the only consideration would be physical damage (scratch and dent). Silicone is also fairly impervious to any damage beyond physical cutting, but the softer the silicone the more unlinked molecules there are, and therefore the more likely problems might happen (which is why the soft silicones, such as VixSkin and O2, are best kept on their own).

Between the three there should be no reactions, unless a toy has a sharp edge that could cut the silicone (but in that case you probably shouldn't use the toy). I think the silicone warning is more targeted towards other toys that might be adversely affected by the silicone or the very soft real-feel ones.

I store silicone, wood and glass together with no problems, and many people store silicone in metal cases with no problems. They're all good, non-troublemaking materials.
08/28/2010
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Yeah, I have tried storing my toys in various ways (wrapping them in cloths, in individual pouches, in plastic bags, etc.). Since I just got a nice new toy box, I wanted to take advantage of being able to have access everything quickly, with them all being visible at a glance and without them all being in individual bags.

So far, there has been no negative ramifications to storing them in the toy box this way, but I worry that there might be a slow chemical reaction going on that will not become obvious for a few weeks or so since chemical reactions occur at varying rates (and some reactions are incredibly slow).

At first, I did worry about my metal toys getting scratched up since I was storing them together, but they fit so snugly that they do not move at all. So this has, luckily, not been an issue.

I am really liking this arrangement so I hope it works out and does not damage my toys in any way over the long-run. I'll let everyone know how it is working out in a few months or so.

In the meantime, if anyone else has tried storing their toys this way for some time now, please let us know how it has worked for you and what type of precautions you take.
08/29/2010
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottA
With metal, glass and wood the only consideration would be physical damage (scratch and dent). Silicone is also fairly impervious to any damage beyond physical cutting, but the softer the silicone the more unlinked molecules there are, and therefore ...
I'm so glad to know you have successfully stored silicone, glass, and wood together with no problems! I think I can safely quit worrying about this so much.
08/29/2010
SydVicious SydVicious
I think the Lelo manual wants you to keep your Silicone away from materials like Jelly. My hubby tossed my Inspire in a box with jelly toys and I now have a wierd red color on the Silicone of my Inspire. Boo
08/30/2010
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by SydVicious
I think the Lelo manual wants you to keep your Silicone away from materials like Jelly. My hubby tossed my Inspire in a box with jelly toys and I now have a wierd red color on the Silicone of my Inspire. Boo
That's too bad! Yeah, jelly toys definitely need to be kept in a home of their own and one must always be diligent in guarding against the accidental silicone intruder (which can sometimes slip by when we are tired or in a hurry and not paying attention!).

I love the look of my toys and would be sad to blemish them. It sounds like you at least separated the Inspire from the box of jellies before it annihilated them (and committed suicide itself by melting them onto it!).
08/30/2010
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
I keep examining my silicone toys (some of which have plastic on them, like my LELO vibrators) that are inside my box with metal and wood toys. So far, there have been no marks on anything.

I think the cautions in the industry against storing silicone toys with other silicone toys stems from the possibility that the silicone is not 100% pure. When you are storing silicone toys of questionable quality with medical grade silicone toys, if a toy that is NOT 100% silicone is stored by a 100% silicone product or products, it can begin to undergo a chemical reaction, damaging not only itself but its neighbors.

I feel like the brands that I am keeping together -- LELO, Tantus, FunFactory, Jollies, and Big Teaze (the Dai-Do has a silicone band around it) -- are all reputable enough manufacturers that I can trust that the silicone is pure and will not react with other silicone.

Aside from being careful to not allow my metal toys to rub loosely together (thereby running the risk of scratching them), the only drawback that I have experienced in storing them this way is that the silicone toys pick up lint a bit more, even inside the toy box, than they did when I had them individually stored in toy pouches.

But I have found that the pros of this storage system far outweigh the cons. I try to give my toys a quick wash before use anyway (even though I washed them before I put them away). The biggest benefit is reclaiming the storage space taken up inside my toy case by having every single toy individually stored inside a pouch. Because my toy pouches took up so much volume, once I freed my toys from them I found I was able to fit more toys inside my toy case. Plus, I can see ALL of my toys at a glance now, which is very, very, very convenient and gratifying!
08/30/2010
ScottA ScottA
Quote:
Originally posted by Selective Sensualist
I keep examining my silicone toys (some of which have plastic on them, like my LELO vibrators) that are inside my box with metal and wood toys. So far, there have been no marks on anything.

I think the cautions in the industry against ...
Soft silicone also needs more care so it doesn't dent. There's a slight chance that it could bond with other soft silicones, but I think the big issue is dents.

If you do accidentaly melt a jelly toy onto a silicone toy don't give up. Silicone is wonderfully resilient, so you can try many solvents without damaging it. Something should take off the jelly.
08/31/2010
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottA
Soft silicone also needs more care so it doesn't dent. There's a slight chance that it could bond with other soft silicones, but I think the big issue is dents.

If you do accidentaly melt a jelly toy onto a silicone toy don't give ...
Oh, thank you for mentioning that it is possible to dent the softer silicone products (such as Tantus O2 or Vixen Creations VixSkin). I had heard about denting occurring on softer silicone toys before.

I absolutely love VixSkin. I usually don't keep my toys in their original packaging, but with my VixSkin Johnny, I did keep the clear plastic clamshell packaging it came in for storage purposes. I love that toy so much that I absolutely will not risk damaging it in any way. (I love my other toys in my toy box, too, but the silicone on them is a bit firmer -- but, of course, I make sure nothing sharp is poking them.) I am expecting the VixSkin Raquel this week and will be keeping the packaging for storage of that one as well. VixSkin products are of such wonderful quality that it is well worth the space their packaging takes up.

Do you have any suggestions for solvents to try to remove jelly from silicone? I don't have this problem myself since I am afraid to even own jelly products for fear of accidentally ruining my silicone toys. But I am sure that there are others who would be very, very grateful for suggestions.
09/01/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
I've never had any issues storing these materials together. The only thing I'd warn about is the lining of the toy box/bag. I have had those bleed into my silicone and plastic toys, leaving stains. Dye in the lining, I guess.
09/01/2010
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
I've never had any issues storing these materials together. The only thing I'd warn about is the lining of the toy box/bag. I have had those bleed into my silicone and plastic toys, leaving stains. Dye in the lining, I guess.
Oh, crap! Back into the individual pouches my silicone toys go! No way am I going to risk this. (So much for enjoying them all at a glance -- but it's just not worth staining them.)

Oh, and thank you so much for the warning!
09/01/2010
Miss Cinnamon Miss Cinnamon
Quote:
Originally posted by Selective Sensualist
Oh, crap! Back into the individual pouches my silicone toys go! No way am I going to risk this. (So much for enjoying them all at a glance -- but it's just not worth staining them.)

Oh, and thank you so much for the warning!
No need to panic The color bleeding problem Carrie Ann described is only possible if the toy box or bag is lined (so if it's just a plain wooden drawer with no lining, it's fine). If your drawer or toy box has a colored lining that could possibly bleed onto your toys, just lightly line the box OVER the original lining with old clothing, preferably worn cotton items. I don't trust the cleanliness of the drawers at my dorms, so I line the bottom of a drawer with old cotton pants and sweaters--things that have been washed a LOT and have faded colors. I leave my silicone toys in there without any additional protection and they do fine. No color bleeding problems so far.

Hopefully, this lets you keep your toys out to enjoy at a glance
09/01/2010
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Cinnamon
No need to panic The color bleeding problem Carrie Ann described is only possible if the toy box or bag is lined (so if it's just a plain wooden drawer with no lining, it's fine). If your drawer or toy box has a colored lining that could ...
Unfortunately, my toy case is lined -- with a black foamy material of some sort on the bottom portion and a purple velveteen material on the upper portion. Maybe the foamy material is safe, but I have reservations about the velveteen material!

Perhaps I should tuck the toys in the top part in plastic bags (or back in their pouches) and, for the larger bottom portion, I could perhaps put down aluminum foil to line the divided segments, just in case. Of course, aluminum foil won't look too pretty -- but it sure beats discolored toys and I could still see all my toys at a glance that way!
09/01/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Quote:
Originally posted by Selective Sensualist
Unfortunately, my toy case is lined -- with a black foamy material of some sort on the bottom portion and a purple velveteen material on the upper portion. Maybe the foamy material is safe, but I have reservations about the velveteen ...
It's usually black, nylon type lining that bleeds, specifically in the FYN bags.

I've had no issues with my Devine bags or Toi Bocks products.
09/02/2010
ScottA ScottA
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
I've never had any issues storing these materials together. The only thing I'd warn about is the lining of the toy box/bag. I have had those bleed into my silicone and plastic toys, leaving stains. Dye in the lining, I guess.
You could try a little full-strength bleach to remove it. Chances are that it would work.
09/02/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottA
You could try a little full-strength bleach to remove it. Chances are that it would work.
Nope. Tried bleach. Tried boiling in bleach water. Tried Oxyclean. Tried goo gone. I'm over it now, figure I don't see the toys once they're being used but I was FURIOUS at first - cuz the main problem toy was my brand new, pink and white Rascal O2

It looks bruised!

sad rascal
09/02/2010
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
Nope. Tried bleach. Tried boiling in bleach water. Tried Oxyclean. Tried goo gone. I'm over it now, figure I don't see the toys once they're being used but I was FURIOUS at first - cuz the main problem toy was my brand new, pink and ...
Poor little Rascal!
09/02/2010
Total posts: 19
Unique posters: 7