In response to a recent issue that a mentor had with a student, I'd like to suggest the following changes to the Mentor Program:
1. A student enrolled in a class should not have the option to go up for vote. The system should automatically prevent this. This is a no brainer and occurs more frequently than it should simply because students do not know any better.
2. Students should still be able to drop a class at any time. However, it should result in an automatic failure. The presumption is that if a mentor has not graduated you and you drop, you would have failed without additional reviews.
3. A mentor should be able to fail a student at any time. Currently, the system only allows us to fail a student after 2 reviews have been submitted. How many students do we all have that either submit one or no reviews and disappear forever? Our only option is to cancel the class which basically erases all evidence that we ever worked with the student. Personally, I don't care if we get a GC or points for failing these AWOL students, but I feel strongly that mentors should get the credit for having worked with them.
4. I think the ability to get voted in should continue. However, I think that any reviews completed under a mentor should not be used as part of their body of work. Currently, when a reviewer requests an upgrade vote, the system lists their reviews. Reviews that were completed with the assistance of a mentor do not demonstrate that reviewers ability to write a quality review on their own. The system should automatically ignore these reviews.
5. We need the information currently available regarding the details of the mentor program to be updated and expanded. Too many mentors and students alike don't understand the program completely. A FAQ would be great!